Japanese encephalitis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Considering a trip to Indonesia, either Eastern end or Raja Ampat.

Noted the CDC says Japanese encephalitis is "endemic to Bali". Everybody getting the vaccine for their trips here?

Otherwise surprisingly few specific recommended vaccines...

Check with your dive resort.

Also some areas have lots of Malaria. I met a woman who caught Malaria on the island of Flores.

Ternate in the Moluccas has a high prevalence (meaning the proportion or percentage of people having malaria at any given point in time) of Malaria of about 30% according to a worker from an NGO in Ternate a few years ago.

In general, the more you are exposed to mosquitoes in the rainy season, the greater the risk of Japanese Encephalitis.

In addition to any medicines and vaccines one may get, avoid mosquito bites by using repellents (creams and smoke), mosquito netting and long sleeve shirts/long pants, especially around dusk which is when most species of mosquitoes bite.

Thanks for your info.

I'm expecting to go by liveaboard. I'm not certain whether that makes it better or worse but it would seem to be better being on the water. However, anchoring at night near land...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom