How to do Rescue course with 7ft hose + BP/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

What am I/are we to do :confused:

I dive with 7ft Long hose, BP/Wings and I'm thinkg of doing PADI Rescue Course.

It seems to me that there is some diff in the DIR & PADI standard.
So will there be contradiction :bonk: and does that means that I have to get conventional BC+ Reg for my Rescue too. Cos I simply can't imagine doing rescue course with my BP and long hose :bonk:

use your BP/wings and long hose for the rescue course? If thats the gear you use regularly when diving, then I would think that you would want to know how to work with that gear in the event you need to rescue someone or someone needs to rescue you.

If you've got your alternate 2nd on a bungee, it should still meet the standard of having everything in that accessible triangle. Maybe someone with an instructor's manual can check the critical attributes and see whether or not you can complete the training by donating the primary.

I did my PADI rescue course in a BP&W. It does meet the standard, including the triangle. In fact, since you donate from your mouth, it is at least as compliant as an AIRII.

It makes it a little more difficult to strip gear, but it can be done with practice. Moreover, it should be done if you or your buddies use this equipment regularly.

On a side note, this year I'm scheduled to assist at a Rescue Course. I don't need to do anything prior to the last day of the open water rescue session. Then I will wait until they think the class is over and stage a scenario.

This last scenario is specifically intended to be difficult and stressful. Thus, we've simulated current by having the victim move away, used stage makeup and fake blood and created other problems.

This years, we are seriously considering having me on the surface in doubles and a deco bottle and my dive buddy on the bottom in a rebreather (no bubbles).

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
This years, we are seriously considering having me on the surface in doubles and a deco bottle and my dive buddy on the bottom in a rebreather (no bubbles).

You guys are so evil.I can just see the average open water student swim up to you and try to decide what to do with all that gear on you.I really like the rebreather idea too.Should be an extremely challenging class should you pursue it :D

I do all me diving in a bp/wing with a seven foot hose including teaching rescue classes. The last rescue class I tought all the students and DM's were in bp/wing wwith seven foot hoses. That's how we dive and if we need to assist or rescue one another this is the equipment that we will have to deal with. It isn't anymore difficult to wotk with or remove. On the contrary /I know how to get a harnes off someone without even looking at it while some of these bc's are real contraptions.

Of course your instructor may have a dofferent view of things.

I did my PADI Rescue class in a BP/Wing, but not a 7' primary. The buddies that I partnered with found it more challenging to gear-strip me at first, but in the end they found it beneficial to deal with a configuration they weren't used to. After the weekend was said and done, I only had to re-thread my harness four times. :wink:

lal7176 once bubbled...

You guys are so evil.I can just see the average open water student swim up to you and try to decide what to do with all that gear on you.I really like the rebreather idea too.Should be an extremely challenging class should you pursue it :D

Its not quite as bad as it sounds. We always pull something cute (the rebreather diver was done to me); however, we reserve some of the most difficult scenarios for people who have expressed a desire to start tech training (which we generally won't due until after rescue).

I'll admit that the doubles was my idea.

What happens when this student pulls the DSV out of your mouth without closing it and floods your loop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom