Letter to the Editor...............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iguana Don

Reaction score
Over the course of the past year I have noticed many alarming incidents, not just here but in magazines and other forums. In my attempt to understand these incidents I ask questions, not to embarrass or humiliate, but to learn. I must admit that I am direct in my approach and it tends to put people on the defensive, but if you want a direct answer, ask a direct question.

Why are these incidents happening?
Is it from poor training? Is it from a casual attitude toward diving? Is it from a Superman attitude toward diving? Are students not paying attention in class? Are we sending people in the water who have no busisness there other than they paid for the class? Or is it just plain stupidity?

Why are we finding more and more people abandoning the basic principals and teachings they were taught in Open Water. Are we not stressing that diving is serious business and bad things (death, bent for life, wheelchairs etc) can happen.

"Diving is for everyone" I think not. It takes a certain amount of dedication, not only to yourself but to your buddy as well. If you are not willing to dedicate yourself then please stay on shore, as we do not need any more fatalities than we already have.

Are we making it too easy to get certified, that is probably where the answer is lies. Not enough training or lax training. Reduced requirements seems to be the trend the diving cert. agencies are headed.

Nobody is Superman, I don't care how much you plan, what your gear is configured like or who you worship, you can never plan for Mother Nature. Unless you can get her to sit down with you at the planning table and she agrees with what you have written down.

These are just some thoughts and I would appreciate any that you may have. Good or bad. This is an open discussion and in hopes that we and others can learn and eventually change the trend.

ID

ID,

Can you provide some examples? I guess most experienced divers (I am a relative newbie) seem to agree that there has been some "dumbing down" of training, but I would be interested in hearing some of your examples -- especially if I am one of them ;-)

I wonder if the rate of diving accidents is really increasing. It is likely that the NUMBER of accidents has risen in recent years, simply as a result of more people entering the sport of diving. However, it is quite possible that the FREQUENCY of accidents (per 1000 divers, for example) has remained the same. Does anyone know of any studies on this topic?

ID,
I believe you need to check: E) all of the above. for your answer. In one way or the other I believe you nailed it for most accidents.

ID,

You bring up an interesting topic and probably a little controversial. I have to agree with Swamp Rat that it probably would be all of the above, but with that being said let me just add my tidbits.

I think tbg's statement has some validity. I also believe there are probably more accidents now than let's say 10 to 20 years ago, but I would also think that percentage wise they are probably similar. I also feel you hear more about accidents today due to the media and the different channels of communication you have in today's world versus what you had 10 to 20 years ago.

Your question on training is probably the most controversial question that is being discussed on several boards. I also believe we discussed it here no too long ago that it isn't necessarily the agency as much as it is the instructor who will be responsible for the quality of a diver's training.

This next statement will probably bring heat down on me but understand it is my opinion (and I have the water buckets standing by :peace: to put the flames out). I believe that divers should have their certification renewed every couple of years. This is something that is also being discussed on other boards as well. I feel that if a diver does not log "x" amount of dives a year then chances are they need to have some kind of skills assessment or refresher before jumping into the deep blue. I know there are some people who "don't lose" any skills even though they might only dive once or maybe twice a year that let their egos take control of their brains.

Diving to me is fun and very addictive that adds risk, adventure and beauty. I love to dive (can never get enough) and talk to people and encourage them to get involved in our sport but I also throw caution that it isn't something to take lightly simply because one little mistake can cause serious injuries (even death) to you or someone else.

IG,

You articulated my thoughts and concerns much better than I could have. When I observe the low levels of knowledge compounded by demonstrated poor skills, I become concerned for other folk's safety as well as my own. I am concerned for myself because of the unpredictable actions of an unskilled diver.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I certainly think its from a lack of good training and possibly poor gear maintenance in addition.

Re-cert -- good idfea.

Unfortunately, that will happen over the dead bodies of the large gear mfrs......although at the same time, re-cert would mean more money for PADI, and they are quite the marketing machine themselves.......

I agree with what have been said and just want to add that a lot of new divers are not actually 'diving' on a regular basis - I went to the shop that certed me and asked them recently if anyone else from my class has ever been out diving again - the answer was no - they did not get certed to dive around here - they got certed to dive while on vacation...
This brings me back to the fact that a number of these divers obviously was not comfortable int he water during checkout, did not have the ability to save themselves from anything and now they are not diving for a couple of months until that vacation is coming up... If you ask me that is an accident waitin to happen.
What bothered me more was that the shop manager seemed to think that this was ok - even great - where I was trying to argue for the shop to get involved with the divers (this is also a marketing issue - but that is another story), to make sure that they get out, get comfortable and gain some experience...
A while back we talked about how to improve training here and the idea of having regular divers "big brother" new divers seemed very good - as well as having the instructors follow the divers and actually make sure they are ready to move on to deeper waters... I think this is a great idea and I promote it and try to bring new divers out for fun dives as much as I can - it helps them to be around experienced people who demonstrate that we know there is a need for a surface inteval and they get to try exiting things like controlled ascents and getting lost...

Well - what do we do next?
Dane

I agree with the belief that divers who have not been active or taken advanced training over a couple years need to brush up before they get back in the water. My shop frequently offers a classroom/pool Scuba Skills Update to customers in this situation at their request or as a strongly encouraged add-on to a store sponsored event/charter. It's up to the diver and the dive operators to more strongly promote this and take a closer look at logbooks.

Back
Top Bottom