Suunto SK7 Compass vs Aeris Compass & T3 With Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronbeau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at buying an Aeris Elite T3 dive computer. I currently have an Aeris ATMOS AI computer with an attached compass.

This dive computer has performed very well and I am going to keep as a family backup dive computer (wife and daughter dive using ATMOS AI but they dive much less than I do so that backup situation would mainly apply to vacations).

I am considering wearing the Elite T3 on my right wrist without a compass. My first question relates to a safer alternative to the wrist band when wearing the Elite T3 with a dry suit (or thick wet suit) and gloves.

The second question relates to the compass. Is the Suunto SK7 wrist or retractable compass a lot better quality than the Aeris compass? The Suunto SK7 indicates it still functions properly with a 300 tilt. I can't find any specifications regarding the Aeris compass.

Has anyone had any experience with the retractable version of the Suunto SK7 compass?

Are there any other options relative to using the Aeris Elite T3 and a compass that I have not considered but should?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ronbeau, I have an Aeris Atmos II, which originally came in a console with an Aeris compass.

I ultimately popped the computer out, and put it in a wrist boot, where it belongs... I bought a Suunto SK7 wrist mount compass (which rides waaaay high on your arm). Popped that out, and put it in a low profile DSS wrist mount. It's perfect. My wife has the retractable SK7, so I've used both, and prefer the wrist mount. It seems more natural when you're holding your forearm perpendicular to your body, which is approximately where it would be anyway, so it's just a glance down. The retractor mount seems to require more effort to properly line it up with your body, and takes up one of your hands, with which you may be holding a light, camera, or some other accessory.

I've found the SK7 to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Aeris: to read (both from top and side window), to tilt (greater tilt angle), and the SK7's have never developed the small bubbles that the Aeris has.

I have to agree with BKP on the sk7. I had an Oceanic/Aeris compass tha tworked but the sk7 is so much nicer. Be aware that when you buy the sk7 they are claibrated for where you live. So if you plan on using it on vacation be sure to adjust for the difference. It is not large in most cases but if you are relying solely on it on a long swim it could be interesting as compared to your buddies direction.

Last edited:
I have to agree with BKP on the sky. I had an Oceanic/Aeris compass that worked but the SK7 is so much nicer. Be aware that when you buy the SK7 they are calibrated for where you live. So if you plan on using it on vacation be sure to adjust for the difference. It is not large in most cases but if you are relying solely on it on a long swim it could be interesting as compared to your buddies direction.

Jim, if I were to buy the SK7 from LeisurePro is there any way to tell what location the compass will be calibrated for? Since, Suunto is owned by Aqualung I already know LeisurePro is not an authorized dealer.

Does Suunto actually calibrate the compass based on the LDS they sell it to or is there a user calibration that is done by the end-user of the compass?

My LDS may become an Aqualung dealer in the near future but I don't know when that will be.

I found the bungee wrist boot on the Deep Sea Supply web site for the SK7 but I did not find a bungee wrist boot for Aeris Elite T3. Do you know of anyone who make a bungee wrist boot for the Elite T3?

I will call Deep Sea Supply on Monday but I thought I would check here in the mean time.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S.

How is your NAUI cut-over coming along?

Last edited:
Ronbeau, I have an Aeris Atmos II, which originally came in a console with an Aeris compass.

I ultimately popped the computer out, and put it in a wrist boot, where it belongs... I bought a Suunto SK7 wrist mount compass (which rides waaaay high on your arm). Popped that out, and put it in a low profile DSS wrist mount. It's perfect. My wife has the retractable SK7, so I've used both, and prefer the wrist mount. It seems more natural when you're holding your forearm perpendicular to your body, which is approximately where it would be anyway, so it's just a glance down. The retractor mount seems to require more effort to properly line it up with your body, and takes up one of your hands, with which you may be holding a light, camera, or some other accessory.

I've found the SK7 to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Aeris: to read (both from top and side window), to tilt (greater tilt angle), and the SK7's have never developed the small bubbles that the Aeris has.

Where did you find the wrist boot for the ATMOS II?

I am going to get boot for the SK7 from DSS but Tobin doesn't make boots for the Aeris Elite T3.

I actually had my LDS order it for me from Aeris. I believe it was about $8.00.

Jim, if I were to buy the SK7 from LeisurePro is there any way to tell what location the compass will be calibrated for? Since, Suunto is owned by Aqualung I already know LeisurePro is not an authorized dealer.

Does Suunto actually calibrate the compass based on the LDS they sell it to or is there a user calibration that is done by the end-user of the compass?
Have not actually asked regarding dive computers but for their other kinds of compasses (hiking, aviation, and surveying) they calibrate them according to 'zones', there are five. almost all computers sold in europe, us, japan, etc are for the same zone (i believe it zone 1). Australia, south america and africa get another zone (5). The equatorial and the other two zones are rarely seen. With 30 degrees of working angle it won't matter if the compass is balanced.

Its not user adjustable as zoning is done by weighting the of the dial before it sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom