Looking for PADI Rescue Course info..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually three days long
One-Day Theory and 2 days diving
The Rescue Diver course does include a 50-question test similar to the format of the Open Water Exam

http://www.padi.com.au/english/common/courses/rec/continue/rescue.asp

In terms of diving well there is very little, as you can't do much for a victim underwater. So you will do some search and recovery dives, unconscious diver tows underwater and assents.

The rest of the course is conducted at the surface getting equipment off, in water EAR, carries, lifts, panicked Divers, EAR. First Aid, rescue plans. And scenarios where you will go through several rescues from start to finish putting it all together.

IMHO this is the best course PADI has to offer in terms of skills taught, all the students I have taught say they got more from this course than any other.

Oh yes you must have a current First Aid cert before completing your Rescue Diver course

sparky30 once bubbled...
Is there a test at the end, and what do you have to do?

If you would like to answer the end of chapter questions without messing up your book (there isn't enough room for a lot of answers), click on my URL below and follow the scuba pages to "dive documents". I posted all of the questions in Word.

sparky30 once bubbled...
I'm thinking about doing the PADI Rescue course in a few weeks.
I was curious what to expect in terms of actual diving.. Is there a test at the end, and what do you have to do?

As pointed out, you'll have to pass a written test and complete a rescue scenario. The written test is really not difficult if you've paid attention to the manual and the courses. The rescue scenario can be a lot trickier depending on how your instructor plans it.

It's a great course to take if you have (as always) a good instructor. The skills that are taught are essential. Ever since I did it, I keep wondering why these are not mandatory to learn...

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
Usually three days long
One-Day Theory and 2 days diving

i must be taking the long version of the course. to date we have had 4 days of classroom (figure about 6 hours each), with the video watched outside of the classroom.

add 5 days of pool work (though the first of those was to repeat all of the confined water skills for Beginning Open Water) comes to about 20 hrs worth of pool-time.

figure another 2 days of open water, one trip to the nearby hyperbaric chamber for a tour and 2 hr seminar. i'll never get done till probably end of april :D

side note - when doing rescue, i was in my BP/Wings/long-hose. when acting as victim ... i was asked to put on a BC with quick release. we did the single 2nd stage buddy breathing - easy on my reg, but dang did i feel constrained when breathing off my buddy's octo. maybe i'm not finning right or something but we get tangled up a lot.

Thanks for all the cool info..
Ianun.. Sounds like my course will be just as long as yours..
Pretty much all of april.. Every Wednesday, and Every weekend..
classroom stuff is Wednesdays, and pool/open water stuff is on the weekend..
I'm diving my TransPacII, RecWings and a long hose.. This shold be interesting. How far do I have to tow the tired diver?

Someone please tell me what EAR stands for?
This is new to me, and I teach this course.
I'm guessing it has something to do with artifical resperation.

T

Sparky, is DAN 02 part of the program taught by your instructor?

BTW, I'm not sure about the required distance for the tired diver drill. In my case, it was a long one :wink:

EAR = emergency artificial respiration

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom