Raj Ampat Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a first time trip to Raj Ampat this fall or early winter and would very much appreciate feed back on live aboard experiences. I am considering Seahorse, Pendito, or Peter Hughes. All the postings for these ships are pretty old. Anyone have experience with these operators I would love to hear. I am open to alternatives as well.

Last edited:
The Archipelago II still has some spaces in January Archipelago Adventurer II Cruise Schedule 2009 A good boat and well Run.
Most of the boats are very heavily booked. This will be the first year for Paradise Dancer in Raja Empat. If it were me booking I would go with one of the operators who have been there consistently for a number of years so as to ensure that they know which dive sites would be performing at what times.
Just checked out PHD website for Raja Empat and a lot of information is not there or sparse. They say most of the diving is drift diving and that is not correct. Also unless some things have changed the diving on the eatern side of Waigeo was moderate to poor to say the least, (if their route map is correct which I doubt as Eagle rock is marked in the wrong place ,,,maybe they found a new one???) Only 2 days in Misool that does not doi it jusctice as IMHO as an old Live-abaord operator in the area the best diving was in Misool. Wayag is great for topside but the diving here is average compared to the rest that is available, They miss the Buttons or Loh Loh which is an absolute wonderful dive with a beautiful swim through starting a12 m and braching into a y with one end coming out at about 22m and the other 28 or so. Maybe it is just attention to detail but.......

Also not many live-a-aboards operating there, at one this year there were 18+ operating out of Raja which is a lot more than than the good ole days when there where only 6-8 of us.

Also check out Grand komodo fleet they have been around along time run a good operation they sometimes have 2 smaller boats up there which whilst accommodations are not as lush as the bigger boats the crew and servie you get is absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:
Just checked out PHD website for Raja Empat and a lot of information is not there or sparse.

Wayan, what website is "PHD"?

Wayan, what website is "PHD"?

Hello hd, I'm guessing it's Peter Hughes Diving. Not surprising that their itinerary was less than optimal. I'm not a fan of franchise operations, owner operators are almost always a better bet and will have much more local knowledge.

Hello hd, I'm guessing it's Peter Hughes Diving. Not surprising that their itinerary was less than optimal. I'm not a fan of franchise operations, owner operators are almost always a better bet and will have much more local knowledge.

Well, dopey me ... I suspect you're right. And I agree with your point about operators, hence the links I offered are all to traditional boats ... can't wait for our RA trip in November on a Grand Komodo boat ...

If you would like to dive Misool & Triton Bay (Fak Fak) check with Grand Komodo Tours for a Sep 29 - Oct 13 2008 trip on M/S Raja Ampat Explorer. I know they have spots open as of yesterday.

highdesert, sorry, my mistake should have posted the link
Dancer Fleet - Peter Hughes Diving

Boats that are in the country all year round would be my first choice especially since a lot of the local operators talk about dive sites conditions and what they found. Most a little more hesitant to talk to the ones just coming for a season and heading of to somewhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom