I have seen the light!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
When I first joined Scubaboard and discovered that some very opinionated people refused to wear traditional BCD's, opting instead for a quasi-military and particularly not glamorous setup consisting of a piece of metal, a bladder and some webbing, like most, I didn't get it. Hell, I couldn't even picture what they were talking about at first.

Trying to keep an open mind, I did a lot of reading, often noticing that the people advocating the unattractive piece of steel were usually giving really good diving advices otherwise.

I went on and tried a number of different BC's, jacket style, back inflation and soft harness. Each time, I liked some of the features and disliked some others. Unless there was a size problem (too large or too small), the BC's I tried were never horrible. But they were never perfect.

At some point, it became clear that I had to try a backplate. The first two opportunities were cancelled because of the weather. Third time's a charm.

Yesterday, I took my dry suit and a wetsuit to the pool with a Halcyon B/P and a 36lbs Pioneer wing (only rental size available). I was converted even before getting in the water.

I dislocated my left shoulder some years ago, and despite intense physical therapy and work out, I have never recovered a full mobility. As a result, donning a BC without help is sometime difficult depending on the environment and the size of the tank, especially with the dump valve of the dry suit on my left arm. Donning the B/P on my own was the easiest thing in the world!

I got in the water. I removed and put on the equipment on the surface, then at the bottom. Several times, with a dry suit, then a wet suit. I also did several buoyancy drills (head up and head upside down, horizontal and vertical, fin pivot, etc.), horizontal/vertical ascent and descent. I also did several laps on the surface on my back.

The whole experience was great. I found out that a piece of equipment that's too often considered a technical must is actually easier to use than its mainstream/recreational equivalent.

I am now the proud owner of a B/P and wing.

good for you, you have the chance to become a real diver now...lol :D :wink: Welcome to the 'club' :)

Well, I'm convinced it takes more than good equipment to become a good diver, but that's a step and I'm working on the rest.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Hello my name is Cameron and I too dive a back plate....well sorta. I recently converted to a backplate type setup. I know I am not a true back plate diver, but I do like the padding my Deep Outdoors Matrix offers. Its as comfy as the sea quest raider i just sold, but nearly as bulky. If I had found a deal on a Halcyon Pioneer setup I would probably have gone that route, but the deal i got on the DO setup was too hard to pass up. Besides I can always use just the stainless back plate and a simple harness if i go DIR.

Congrats on finding out what some of us have been saying for a long time! It really is a fine BC for all types of diving.

Now you need to hook up with MHK and check out a DIR seminar that he does in your area..........=-)

Bravo, man. You'll dig it.

Hey Lead, a little slow on the uptake on this one... must have been diving and missed the (good) news...

:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edit:
Props to Dr. Jay for the attached Assimiliation Pic...this isn't my work.
k.

Smart move Arnaud...another member to the collective. :)

Dive Safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom