Boring Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok maybe not too boring
I was doing a dive the other day, and as I went to log it I realised it was the 200th time I had dived that site it is called Shelley Beach and the max depth is 40ft/12m a quiet Bay that is almost always calm with a nice reef that has been slaughtered by too many Open Water classes. Even on this dive I saw a few critters I had never laid eyes on during any other dive at the site.

So how do you mix up your diving? I know some divers have a very limited amount of Dive Sites to choose from say for example the old Quarry in a landlocked State what excites you when you go diving the same dive every weekend?

I guess for me it is just being underwater, I always find it very hard to surface after a dive no matter what the site.

of us its like you said,"just being underwater". Also I think its the comraderie during the surface intervals.

I'm lucky in that we live within a couple of hours of the coast and there are many wrecks.

However, I really love exploring a site completely. I will sometimes schedule a two tank dive on a single wreck and repeat the dive several times in a season. Doing so allows me to explore the wreck in detail and really get to know it, rather than a quick exploration.

The other factor is the peace and quiet of diving. I truly enjoy it.

with the, "peace and quiet of diving".

For me, it's just being underwater. At our "good ol" divesite, I usually hang out near the fish cribs close to our entry/exit point until my air is down to a couple hundred pounds. I just sit and watch the fish and goof around.

Before someone rips on me about breathing my tank down like that - I'm in 10-15 feet of water, 40 feet from shore. Don't even start.

Anyway - I just like being in the water...goofing around weightless is fun and just the joy of being underwater. I almost don't care where it is =)

Yep.

Just being underwater.
Last time I dove our 'last choice' local dive site (the one we go when weather is crappy) and all we saw was a crab and a few bottles of milk. :D

Woohoo, you really gotta LOVE diving. I still got out with a smile on my face.

Sometimes it is just the company. We get together for a little night dive in the local puddle every now and then. (It looks a lot better in the dark.) And I usually find it very enjoyable. The last time we even found a T-shirt and saw a fish! With the right company, night diving can be special in a romantic sort of way. :)

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

So how do you mix up your diving

1. Dive until bored

2. Strap on 150 lbs of doubles, deco tanks and canister lights.

3. Do 200' shore dive on mix and scare self half to death.

4. Vow to **never** haul all this crap out of the water, over rocks again.

5. Strap on single tank and...

6. GoTo No. 1

7. End Prog

MD

Example: Avalon Dive Park - been there a zillion times. About a year ago, I told myself I'd never go there again.

Then I got by BP/W, Turtles, Long hoses, HID Canister light, etc. So I went there (protected, mellow, easy entry/exit) to check out the new gear.

A week later, my wife and I were stranded on the island one night, because the return boat was cancelled. So we went to the dive park, but this time at night. A completely different place. Our first night dive as buddies. Very cool.

Was there 2 weeks ago with a new dive partner - to drill for DIR/F. We did a tour on dive 1 - just to play and get used to each other, then used dives 2 & 3 for drilling.

Same last Saturday - took someone else (a new buddy for me) and we toured, drilled, practiced and had a good time.

This weekend is DIR/F at...you guessed it...the dive park.

I've dived there more in the last 6 weeks than I have in the last 2 years!

The key for me is mixing it up - new buddies, new objectives, a night dive, new gear trials, etc.

K

Back
Top Bottom