Wrist vs AI for first computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Everyone,

I've been looking at computers and I would like to get everyones opinions on wrist vs AI.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Are there types of diving where you would prefer one over the other? Personally I don't ever see myself diving in cold water though.

As far as computers go I would like to know not only what you recommend but also what you wouldn't recommend.

Also, I do need nitrox compatible. I'm going on a dive trip towards the end of the month and would like to purchase something within the next week so as to have time to do a local check out dive with it.

One more thing, user friendly is important, I'm not the one for spending hours reading through a manual or having to call tech support in order to do set-up....but the ability to sync with my laptop is a feature I like.

Thanks to everyone for any and all responses.

Hi AZ,

When I first started diving I went with an AI computer. I bought a Suunto Cobra 2. I did some reaserch and found that Suunto made very reliable, easy to use, and very conservative computers. It has a digital compass, and has quick release. I spoke to alot of divers usuing their products and recieved possitive feed back. Also the price range was within my bugdet. I knew I wanted a computer that would advance with my diving, being nitrox and so forth. I live in Canada and dive cold water, so I wanted something that could take the abuse of a new diver and the elements. Basic wrist computers do pretty much the same other than tank pressure unless you go wireless at a much higher cost which is why I went AI. It basically comes down to what you feel comfortable with and your types of dives you'll be doing. I also have a wrist computer Suunto Gekko, I use for back up. I use it on all my dives and love it. It to does almost the same as my AI computer minus the tank pressure and digital compass. Most divers I see nowadays are more tech so they use bottom timers, wrist computers and brass pressure gauges. Again depends on your diving. I would recommend any Suunto product, if you can afford a wireless go for it, but AI is very good and I don't regret it one bit. Sorry I love em both.

Oh ya..Cobra 2 AI...and Suunto Gekko are very easy to use, read and navigate you won't hardly need to read the manual.....nice thing is most Suunto computers pretty much share the same menu types so from one computer to another isin't much harder to get used to.

As for anyother computers i can't comment since I have never used any but my Suunto's.

It's nice to everything in one place, depth gauge, pressure gauge, compass. When you put on your gear, all your instruments are already hooked up. I used to hate putting all the stuff on my wrists.

I have a Suunto cobra with a compass, I like it.

Hi imasinker,

Thanks for the response, this is exactly the type of info I need. I'll price the Cobra. Easy to use is important as is within a reasonable budget.

I also like the thought of adapting to ones expanding diving experience

I was reading in another thread that some divers with AI computers also have a back-up mechanical gauge. Is this really needed? I certainly would put safety first but I'm trying to eliminate gear, thus I purchased Atomic SS1 because I like the idea of combining inflater with alt air source.

Thanks!

Thanks DennisS,

Yes, I like that idea too! Having everything in one place and not having to strap a bunch of other stuff on. You have a mechanical compass or digital?

Thanks!

Hi imasinker,

Thanks for the response, this is exactly the type of info I need. I'll price the Cobra. Easy to use is important as is within a reasonable budget.

I also like the thought of adapting to ones expanding diving experience

I was reading in another thread that some divers with AI computers also have a back-up mechanical gauge. Is this really needed? I certainly would put safety first but I'm trying to eliminate gear, thus I purchased Atomic SS1 because I like the idea of combining inflater with alt air source.

Thanks!

HI AZ

No probs glad I could help out. I have a back up analog pressure gauge. It was a used one and was tested and I have it tested each time I take my regs in for service. It is good to have a back up. Cost was 50 bucks and I keep it in my gear bag. Basically your going to call a dive if your Cobra fails anyways. A back up just gets you back in the water in a few minutes after switching lets say like on a charter where you plan more than one dive. Nice thing about the cobra as well is you can carry it with you when you travel or to and from a dive safely. The downloadable cable was a great buy for me as well and something to think about in the future should you go with the Cobra 2.
By the way, I have not had any problems with either computer to date....

Compass, I have two. One digital in the Cobra 2 and one wrist compass...

Hi AZ,
I'm a AI wireless diver myself I have a Oceanic VT3 that my wife now uses and an Atom 2.0.
I keep a console in my reg bag just in case but have never had to attach it.
If I'm diving without my wife I will use both computers to have a backup.
If my wife is diving with me and my computer were to fail I'd figure a safe or worse case from my wifes computer and then dive tables with the console the rest of the day.
So having a computer you can dive without analog gauges as a backup but unless you are willing to call it a day should the computer you will need a backup plan.

My wrist is an AI... it's the Oceanic VT3. It's also my first computer as well. I have a mini spg as a back-up.

A bit pricey but I've seen it come down a bit lately and there has been a few sales on the Atom.

Good luck!

:14:

When buying our initial gear, getting wrist-mount non-AI computers as a lot cheaper than going AI, even factoring in the price of the SPG's. That meant more budget for stuff we actually needed to get in the water.

Thanks for all the replies.

If it's permitted on this forum can anyone recommend an online store? Is LiesurePro the best for comparing all the different computer available? Or, has everyone purchased from their LDS?

I did look at the Cobra, seems liek a pretty decent buy with good features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom