My BCD sprung a leak and got wet!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickM

Reaction score
After a recent dive I was checking through my equipment when I discovered water inside my BCD. I then noticed on closer inspection that the rubber seal inside the upper dump valve had slipped.

I drained the BCD and left it to dry as much as possible. My concern now is will it rot inside if it did not dry thoroughly? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
:(

You mean you've never had water in your BC (either from regular diving or rinsing the inside)? Water in a BC is not a big deal, just hang it upside down so that the water drains into the power inflator, which you can peridically open to allow the water to drain. I'm more concerned by the fact that it sounds like you've never rinsed out the inside of your BC, which is a VERY important maintenance step to do.

Yeah, pretty much anytime you try and dump air when there already isn't much or any in there (a good sign you may be a little underweighted), you're going to get water in there.

Just orally inflate it fully and tip it upside down so that the shoulder dump valve (if you have one) is the lowest part to let all the water collect there, then just hit the purge button.

You should run fresh water in there after ever salt water dive anyway. You don't want salt crystals forming in the bladder.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a new BCD, and I have only used dry suit inflaton before, so I am new and inexperienced to the use of BCD's.

I will rinse it out and drain it.

Thanks again

Rick
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom