Dive Rite's 10W HID and 500 Lumen LED beams comparison question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I'm stuck between the 2 lights, not sure which one would be better for cave diving.

Requested the same information from the Dive Rite support. Here is the answer:

Thanks for your inquiry. The three lenses (diodes) on the LED are 12
degree each, however the output visually appears to be 6 degrees (which is
customary for LED).

I do not have any comparison photos at this stage. We will be able to
provide a comparison photo later in September.

Anyway this led is not suitable for cave diving.

.................................................................Anyway this led is not suitable for cave diving.

Where do you get this??? I have made quite a few cave dives with it and it works just fine. Illumination is good and signalling is just as affective.

Jerry

I took my cave class with a fellow who had a LED 500. It is suitable for illumination, but much harder to see his signals than using a standard HID light. It is very difficult to use the "one spot over another" signaling with the LED 500. I personally would not use it.

It is called cave-awareness. You are in an environment totally devoid of light any one paying attention to their surroundings can and should see light signals. Additionally you should know where your budd is at ALL times.

Jerry

It is called cave-awareness. You are in an environment totally devoid of light any one paying attention to their surroundings can and should see light signals. Additionally you should know where your budd is at ALL times.

Jerry

Thanks for the lesson in buddy awareness from someone who knows nothing about how I dive.

However my teammates and I prefer the more precise spot of a tight HID beam for "signaling" not just a beacon letting us know he/she is alive.

I do quite a bit of cave exploration with your rebreather cave instructor; so I have a fair idea. For what it is worth; Jill had nothing but good things to say.

I have used the 500 on quite a few cave dives; some where I switched lights in the middle of the dive (and no one noticed) and others where the 500 was my primary throughout the dive and there was never a communication issue.

Jerry

It had been a while since I used my adjustable focus light; I took out for a little fam dive at our exploration site. I pulled out the LED 500 on exit and compared it to my adjustable focus; the LED was actually tighter than my adjustable focus!! I do not have it totally defocused; I have it opened a little to give an even beam and good reflection off of the cave walls.

My 20 years of cave diving experience says this light is more than acceptable for cave diving.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom