Martha's In September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigken462

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be planning a trip to Martha’s during the last weekend of September 26th – 28th. While I have dove it once, it has been 7-8 years ago if not longer. I don’t think Fred has changed the website at all since then either, thus the need for some current contact information, prices, dive conditions etc. etc. if any of you can share those with us, we would be grateful.

Our dive plans will be quite simple. Dive to have fun, then dive some more!

My friend and I plan to stay somewhere in Lebanon and more than likely spend Fri-Sat up there if any other divers would like to join us. I’m thinking some after dark celebrations at the BB King Blues Club would be in store, or if the atmosphere in there is a little to ‘Blue’ fer ya, the Wildhorse Saloon is just next door. Plenty of time for some bubbles and burgers.

Looking for information right now so we can plan our trip. However if anyone would like to join us for the weekend, please give us a shout so we can make some plans to meet.

Kenny

Bamamedic2.0 and I invite all of our dive companions to join us at Martha’s Quarry the weekend of September the 26-28th. We will be driving up Friday around noonish or so to enjoy the evening hours before retiring for the evening for a full day of diving Saturday. All is welcome to attend, and if you only wish to drive up for a quick dip, we would love to have your company.

As many of you know, if you prepay for tickets, the admission for a day of diving is 20.00, or if you elect - 30.00 at the gate. Mr. Massie prefers that folks buy tickets from the dive shops to avoid handling money at the gate. Tickets may be purchased from Britt Clark at Better Diver Dive center for cost of 20.00 dollars. There are a few shops along the way up there, however I would call ahead to ensure tickets are available before chancing the drive.

Directions to the quarry is on the website linked above, and is only a few hours’ drive from Cullman. While it would be a long day, it’s completely doobale for a one day dive trip, either way the place is great to dive at least once a year.

Should you wish to stay overnight, we will be at the hotel below Fri-Sun. Come join us for a day of fun.

Kenny

Hotel Information
LEBANON
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
826 S CUMBERLAND STREET
LEBANON, TN 37087
UNITED STATES
LOCAL PHONE: 615-994-3225

Donald K. Taylor

There are few treasures of more lasting worth than the experiences of a way of life that is in itself wholly satisfying - Eric Shipton

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

MTSS (Middle Tennessee Scuba and Swim) in the Franklin -Cool Springs area off I-65 south of Nashville should also have tickets for Martha's Quarry. And it is on the way up for a lot of you 'Bama folks. As was said, call ahead to make sure the dive shop has a supply of tickets. Martha's has been a busy place recently with lots of training going on in the summer months and some shops may have run out of tickets.

Kenny,
How did the dry suit diving go on Saturday? Also I will be at Blue Water this coming Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday if you can make it down one of those days. If not, we'll see you Thursday night at Madison.

We'll it was not quite as hot at some of the past few weeks, but still amounted to being hotter than crap. It was worth it though to see Rita have a pleasurable dive with her new dry suit. She's got her a mean lookin 905 and is now on her way to doubles.

As for me? I've been on a roller coaster with mine. I've yet to get myself tuned in with my gear as I should be with my level of diving. That just goes to show that a 4K dollar dry suit, does not fix your problems - in my case, just added to them. With each dive though, I'm finding lil things to adjust or change that leads to the next dive being a bit better, so with that, slowly I hope to someday be a diver. Lol.

Today I spent the typical 2 hours cleaning, washing, sorting, and counting dive gear to get the trailer back in service for the next dive day. I'll be working the rest of the week with the exception of Thursday so regretfully I wont be able to make it back down to ABWA.

On another note, I have some doubles and deco cylinders at Dive Sports that are being serviced, and if they are ready will stop by the shop on the way up to Madison Thursday to pick them up, I also have a set of doubles I used yesterday and some stage bottles I used while diving with you guys that I will need to get filled as well so I'll be at the shop for a lil while - maybe 2-3 PM depending on when you pass through .

Speaking of gas fills, I'm not sure if you have been keeping up with the traffic on the forums regarding Madison Quarry in regards to on site air fills. While Britt does have a small compressor, you may wish to get yours filled up at Dive Sports on the way up, or somewhere south close to you. At least a few weeks ago, Britt was suggesting if possible to get fills elsewhere besides the quarry do to lack of cascade volume. With that said, Britt is more than eager to help with your air needs, he asks however to be patient since the fill times could be extended. He since could have this fixed, but it still may be worth a call to either him, or Dive Sports to ensure you have sufficient air quantity without having to wait for the cascade to fill.

I'm not sure of my dive plan Thursday just yet. If the weather is cool, I may double up, sling some stages and run the scooter down to do some simulated stage diving. However if the laziness I predict kicks in, I'll more than likely do some Monkey diving and just goof off and enjoy a nice relaxed evening.

Dive safe, and be sure to stop by the dive shack to say hello.

Ken

Hi, Moray!

I'd like to think that the drysuit diving went really, really well! I don't think my 7mm wetsuit is going to see much action anymore :)

I'll probably dive the drysuit regularly for 2-3 months in a single tank (until I'm completely sure that I've got the hang of it)...then, it's off to doubles! Now that'll be interesting...that'll be the day my dive gear outweighs me :D

Assuming that Frosty doesn't cancel on me, I should be at ABWA on Friday. Frosty promised he'd teach me the finer points of drysuit diving (aka how not to royally screw up). Feel free to stop by the gray Miata and say Hi! :)

bigken,

You looked fantastic in the water on Saturday! Seriously...perfect horizontal trim and all :D

Speaking of gas fills, I'm not sure if you have been keeping up with the traffic on the forums regarding Madison Quarry in regards to on site air fills. While Britt does have a small compressor, you may wish to get yours filled up at Dive Sports on the way up, or somewhere south close to you. At least a few weeks ago, Britt was suggesting if possible to get fills elsewhere besides the quarry do to lack of cascade volume. With that said, Britt is more than eager to help with your air needs, he asks however to be patient since the fill times could be extended. He since could have this fixed, but it still may be worth a call to either him, or Dive Sports to ensure you have sufficient air quantity without having to wait for the cascade to fill.

I added 2 more bottles to the cascade system giving us a total of 6 bottles. That seemed to make a big difference, its still a little slow when we get a lot of refills in at one time, but the system is holding its own now. :)

Way to go Britt, I'm sure folks are thankful for your work - I know I am! Looking forward to seeing everyone Thursday evening.

Ken

Bamamedic,
I know all kinds of secrets about Frosty. We went to EMT school together way back when so if he cancels on you let me know. We may just have to start a new thread dedicated to him. I won't be there on Friday. Gotta work, but I may be going Sunday now as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom