HalcyonExplorer/DiveRightsuperwing Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

200 Bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Im looking to purchase one of the above BC's but not sure which to go with...Most of my diving is deep wreck with a wetsuit..I have completed Intro Cave but do not have a drysuit.The diveright is redundant with two bladders..The Halcyon in my opinion is made better but not redudant..Any advice would be appreciated....:confused:

Barry,
Welcome to the board.

I selected the Halcyon 55# Explorer as my primary wing. I added another Halcyon Explorer as a secondary wing. I dive dry but do not feel comfortable in open water on a wreck or in a cave without a redundant wing. I have a streamlined profile according to observers and do not notice additional drag.
I believe that the dual bladder wings are OK, but they seem too bulky for me and if you were to damage the wing in a wreck you may get both bladders. I know that the DIR folks don't agree, but I think Deco stops would be mighty tough using your drysuit for buoyancy control.
Whichever solution you select, I think you are making a wise configuration decision.
Just my $.02.
Larry

Daylight-- I am interested in your bulkiness comments...if I understand you are sandwiching two single bladder wings for redudancy. This has always intrigued me but I always thought it would end up being much less streamlined than a single double bladder wing. I would guess that you sandwich them so that one hose comes across the left shoulder and the other the right.

The use of redundant bladders is NEVER necessary. It is not needed because the rig should be balanced in such a manner so that even with a complete wing failure, the rig can be swam to the surface without undo stress. The need for redundant inflation means that you are starting out the dive seaverly overweighted. This is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. You may have to change your exposure protection or tanks so that you are not so overweighted as to need a second bladder. Dual bladders is a solution to a problem that should not even exist in the first place. I would reconsider the need for redundant bladders if I were you.

Halcon makes a great wing, that's what I would get.

Birdman once bubbled...
Daylight-- I am interested in your bulkiness comments...if I understand you are sandwiching two single bladder wings for redudancy. This has always intrigued me but I always thought it would end up being much less streamlined than a single double bladder wing. I would guess that you sandwich them so that one hose comes across the left shoulder and the other the right.

I dont really understand the need for two single bladder wings.If you are that worried about having a redundant bladder you might as well get an OMS dual bladder wing.

If your diving dry you will have your drysuit as a redundant lift source plus a lift bag if you carry one which you should be for deep dives.

If your diving a wetsuit you should be using aluminum tanks and be able to swim it up.You should still be carrying your lift device with you in case you need it.

As it happens I have a Dive Rite dual rec 50 lb wing, but its in storage waiting for my doubles to arrive. I would never want to count on my drysuit as a lift device, but that's just me, so I have a second bladder in its place. You can bet that the first thing I will be doing when I get my doubles is to try swimming them up from depth with everything deflated.:)

lal7176 once bubbled...

I dont really understand the need for two single bladder wings.If you are that worried about having a redundant bladder you might as well get an OMS dual bladder wing.

If your diving dry you will have your drysuit as a redundant lift source plus a lift bag if you carry one which you should be for deep dives.

If your diving a wetsuit you should be using aluminum tanks and be able to swim it up.You should still be carrying your lift device with you in case you need it.

Birdman- Yes, I sandwich the wings so that my primary wing inflator is over my left shoulder and the backup wing inflator is over my right.

ElectricZombie/Lal7176- I agree that diving a balanced rig is imperative. I take no issue with that. I am able to swim the rig fully deflated. Controlling buoyancy using drysuit inflation is a skill that I practice regularly. Attempting to ascend under control while dumping an expanding drysuit is a challenge for anyone. Attempting to exit a cave for any distance just using a drysuit for buoyancy control would be very stressful. However, having a redundant wing simplifies this without adding complexity. I didn't like the OMS double bladder wing so I just use two single wings for redundancy.
Using a lift bag in open water for buoyancy control is doable but again high risk. With all the emphasis that we place upon redundancy, safety, and being conservative; I find having a second wing available a worthwhile investment.

Works for me.
Larry

You should not have to use the suit for bouyancy, just add enough air to eleviate the squeeze. Without using the suit for bouyancy and with a total wing failure, the rig should still be swimmable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom