Pulau Weh Trip Report August 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Pulau Weh (Weh Island) is located on the northwestern tip of Sumatra, Indonesia. This is one of Indonesia’s hidden treasure and a little known diving paradise where you are likely to see manta ray or whale shark, or even a Mola Mola and the extremely rare Megamouth shark, unpredictably magnificent, pristine and to many beyond description. Off the beaten track, it is only accessible via Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh Province. This was my second trip to this unspoiled tropical paradise and I embarked on a different route, a lengthy and rather tiring journey, yearning to see the unusual deep water Megamouth shark.

On Monday evening, I took a 5.5 hours coach from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and spent the night over at daddy’s place in Petaling Jaya. We started off bright and early the next morning, taking an hour taxi to LCCT terminal to catch the one-hour Air Asia flight to Bandah Aceh. We cruised through customs but checking in our luggage at Air Asia’s counter was cumbersome. They allow 15 kilos for personal check-in baggage and an additional 15 kilos for sport equipment at a fixed rate at RM40 each. Daddy had a pelican case weighing 12 kilos and had originally packed his dive bag together with his personal belongings in a big trolley bag weighing 20 kilos and was told to pay for 5 kilos excess baggage. I had only one bag for dive gears and personal belongings weighing 17 kilos and the check-in staff wanted to charge me RM30 for excess, despite not exceeding 30 kilos. She said that we can have more personal check-in bags within allowance but will have to pay for excess if we decided to keep to one bag. What strange check-in policy! Eventually, we had to reshuffle our bags, having them rescanned and paid RM80 just for the two sport bags. We had a quick breakfast before immigration clearance, and then head over to duty-free for some liquors and cigarettes before the flight took off on schedule at 12pm.

Upon arriving at Banda Aceh airport, we were welcomed by a traditional drum dance performance and promptly cleared immigration but another nightmare began at the luggage collection area. The area was crammed and stuffy. There was no conveyor belt system and unloading of the bags was done manually. We had 4 check-in bags and took us more than half an hour to retrieve them.
Important note: Air Asia had recently rescheduled their departure flight to daily at 3.40pm temporary (7th of August till 25th of October 2008) so one night stay in Banda Aceh is unavoidable if you taking this route. Other routes are possible- do check out details from Lumba-lumba’s link (Travel tips, Gapang Beach, Pulau Weh (Weh Island), Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia). Also, foreigners requiring a visa will have to obtain their visa prior to entry into Banda Aceh as the airport is NOT a Visa-on-Arrival port yet.

From there, we boarded a pre-arranged taxi and it took 45 minutes to get to Ulee Lheu ferry habour where the fast ferry leave for Balohan on Pulau Weh. The ferry was scheduled to leave at 4pm and we spent the next 2 hours having a light lunch and reading at the small shop near the ticket office whist waiting for it to open. At 3pm, we finally got our VIP tickets, boarded the ferry and after “enduring” an hour Karaoke session, we arrived in Pulau Weh. We got picked up again by another pre-arranged taxi driver before embarking on a bone-rattling drive through about 20km of the island's pot-holed roads to finally reach the shores of Gapang at close to 6pm. After checking in to Lumba-lumba, we proceeded to Dat's Zero Café to have dinner before retiring for the night.

Gapang Beach is a unique beach, with white sand halfway around the bay, surrounded by large overhanging trees. Its charm is endearing and it is not difficult to unwind in this tropical paradise. It seems like we have traveled almost to the end of the civilized world and beyond. Here, the people we met are of different origins, age, occupations and beliefs.

Lumba-lumba (Enjoy your diving with Lumba Lumba Diving Centre, Pulau Weh (Weh Island), Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia) is well run and professionally managed by Ton and Marjan, a nice Dutch couple. They have recently expanded with few newly completed bungalow chalets just right behind the dive shop where we chose to stay. The bungalows are beautifully done- the room is fan-cooled and is very spacious. Our room has 2 single beds, a sitting area, a small pantry, a fridge and a wooden verandah. The attached “kampung mandi” style bathroom do not have hot water but unlike the previous time when I stayed at Leguna up the hill, I found the cold water showers bearable. It has also a large sink platform for toiletries and flushing toilet. YES, No more squatting ones! The local electricity supply is erratic, with intermittent cut offs happen almost daily. Be prepared if you need to recharge your batteries. Mosquitoes are also a problem during the night when the electricity got cut-off. Ton said he is getting a new generator and will be installing air-conditioning soon.

The food selection is rather limited, especially for Westerners not used to having rice and noodle as a staple. My friend, Richard, who is working as an instructor at Lumba-lumba since April told me he has already lost few kilos. As such, when I offered to bring him some boozes when I visit, he traded them for Heinz baked beans as he misses his beans on toast too much. I got him 4 cans and he said he is going to ration them since he has got another 2 more months there. On Gapang Beach, there are 6 cafes. Out of which 3 of them served the same menu, offering local Acehese food like noodles or rice served with fried fish/chicken/vegetables, curries and some basic Western food such as pancakes, sandwiches, fruit salads, Taco and spaghetti. A word of advise, allow ample time, usually about 30-45 minutes for your food to be served since the locals tend to take their own sweet time to prepare their food. To avoid the wait, every afternoon after the first boat dive, daddy would walk to Walet, a small shop up the road to pack our favorite curry with rice for lunch. Grilled fish (Ikan baker), which was amazing fresh and delicious can be ordered beforehand (before 4pm). Not forgetting the donut lady who turned up after each surface interval with delicious snacks like donuts, fried vegetables patties and cakes to satisfy our sweet tooth.

And then, onto the diving…
Pulau Weh diving consists of a variety: full-adrenaline current drift diving, hot spring diving, deep diving, wreck diving, macro and shore diving amidst intensely rich marine life. During the plankton seasons (Nov - Jan) pelagic such as manta and devil ray, whale shark are frequent visitors. Underwater, the landscape was just as varied as its visitors. Each site is different and mostly spectacular. Many dive sites are characterized by big volcanic rock boulders with partial coral cover, with lots of nooks and crannies.

Lumba-lumba run 2 boat dives daily: a morning dive at 10am (with the exception on Friday due to the local religion practice) and an afternoon dive at 2pm or 2.30pm after lunch. Most of the dive sites are about 20-30 minutes away by boat. You can also do as many unguided shore dives and guided night dive is upon request only. The dive boat is a sturdy wooden boat & can accommodate up to 20 divers, via back-roll entry. The dive crew consists of very experienced local guides and boatmen and few foreign instructors. We did a total of 11 dives covering just few sites: The Canyon, Batee Tekong (2x), Arus Balee, Pantee Peunateung, Batee Gla and Gapang shore dives (5x). Water temperature was always around 28°C and visibility wasn’t at its best at this time of the year, ranging from 10-25 meters.

The Canyon – It’s the island trump card and a favorite for most big fish divers, located on the Northern tip of the island. Two huge volcanic rocks forming a canyon about 5 meters wide and drop down to 50 meters or so. The strong currents and nutrient rich water attracts pelagic species such as huge school of barracuda, Napoleon wrasse, gray reef sharks, manta and eagle rays, occasional oceanic white tips and very rarely Mola Mola. It is listed for advanced diving mainly due to the strong currents that can occur but the current was almost non-existent during our dive and so was the big pelagic. Nevertheless, we descended right in the middle of the canyon and saw a huge Napoleon wrasse being cleaned. The first rock was covered with many beautiful soft corals and huge gorgonian sea fans and teeming with fish life. The view was just breathtaking. The second rock has less coral growths but more deep crevasses; it also has an abundance of reef fish, from schools of triggerfishes to free-swimming lionfishes to brilliantly colored anthias and fusiliers. My fiber optic cable wasn’t working so I did not take any photograph on this dive. This gave me an opportunity to look at the reef more closely and I enjoyed every bit of this unique fish bowl.

Batee Tokong - A steep slope densely covered with magnificent gorgonian sea fans most measuring one meter or more in width, continues downwards till well over 40 meters, where a second wall starts. This dive site has an amazing number of moray eels and so named the “No. 1 Moray city in the World”. Numerous masked morays with accompanying cleaner shrimps concentrated on one part of the reef, counted at least a dozen or two, and you’ll have to be careful when getting near for photography as one will stick it’s head out of it’s hiding place unexpectedly. Giant, fimbriated, white-eye, snowflake, white-mouth, honeycombed, zebra and yellow margined morays are also commonly sighted. There is also an abundance of hard corals providing a home for many species of brightly colored reef fish and the sheer concentration of the creatures here is astounding. The sea conditions here transitioned very quickly. On one dive, it was bright and sunny we descended and there were some mild currents and it was fine for the first 25 minutes. I was spending too much photographing the gobies and hawk fishes on the sea fans at 30 meters depth and hit deco. As I worked my way up the slope to clear my 7 minutes deco-stop, the sea just turned dark suddenly and the currents were ripping. I found a big rock, hid behind it and hang on. Looking up, I saw white patches out in the blue and thought they were schools of jacks but as they got closer, I realized that they were whirlpools created by the ocean currents. They just drifted passed, one after another and each one getting bigger. I was lucky enough to have ascended to shallower depth and hiding behind a rock, I could have been sucked into the whirlpools? WOW! This was the first time I have witnessed something like this. Pretty freaky but what an enthralling sight! 15 minutes later, the currents became manageable. I have completed my deco-stop and surfaced to a gloomy sky with heavy rain and strong winds. That was Mother Nature at work!

Arus Balee – meaning bastard current in Acehese and is the name of the water passage around the rocky pinnacle between the islands of Seulako and Rubiah. This narrow passage often sees lots of strong current bringing with them, sharks, rays and other current loving sea creatures. It was a mass of moving color and a spectacular sight to watch as streams of neon bright fusiliers, anthias and other colorful reef fish were out to play, swimming against the currents. It is also the best site for spotting Blue ribbon eels; here you can easily manage to find both the black juvenile as well as the blue male adult, and sometimes even the yellow female adult. Ignoring the No. 1 rule of diving: Look into the blue occasionally, I saw 6 ribbon eels, 2 blue and 4 black and was so focused on photographing them that I missed the 3 Manta rays, which the other groups saw. Feeling a little disappointed, I would have to “kill” myself if it was a Megamouth shark.

Gapang Beach Shore Dive – Right in front of Lumba-lumba, the shore dive is a great-relaxed dive where we immersed in a profusion of hard coral garden and anemones, evidently minimal damage from the Asia’s 2004 Tsunami. Amongst them, there are an abundance of reef fish and prolific communities of invertebrates. The place is literally teaming with life. The reef is also densely populated by an abundance of butterfly fishes and snappers, scorpion and lionfishes, razor fishes, schools of red tooth triggerfishes and many more. On the sand you can find swaying carpets of garden eels, Flying gurnards, pipe-horses, ribbon eels, flounders, snake eels and many more.

Topside-wise, there wasn’t much to do. The dive shop has a large comfortable deck facing the sea where most guests chill-out, read books or simply take a siesta in the hammock. Internet is sporadically available but I gave up after trying for 10 minutes to log onto my emails. At every surface interval, daddy and I were engrossed on playing Bejeweled on his I-phone and challenging to beat each other’s high scores. Eventually, I have set a high score that will probably take him months to beat ;-) On Friday’s afternoon, we finished dive early and started drinking the bottle of “Jack Daniels” which we had bought with Ingrid and the dive crew. On our last night on the island, we invited the dive crew and some of the new friends we quickly befriended, Michael and Sergi from Germany and Erik and Simone from Holland for dinner. The evening was wonderful with a delicious feast of 2 huge grilled fish, chicken curries, and shrimps, vegetables and of course beers, amongst dive tales, “sugar daddy” jokes and endless laughter. Yo-Yo used the phrase “Never try, Never know” so often that it has got embedded in my head. Funny!! We ended the night with a nice whisky back at Michael and Sergi’s veranda, calling it one for the road and we promised to keep in touch.

Walking down memory lane in Pulau Weh, despite not seeing the evasive Megamouth shark, we found what we came for - great diving, interesting people and a tranquil atmosphere to slip into a groove. It was wonderful to be able to see Ton, Marjan, Richard, and everyone else again, and good to also meet the new faces who had stopped over at Lumba-lumba. One day, we would like to be back.

Here is the link to my photos: Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Pulau Weh 5th Aug to 10th Aug 2008

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Thanks very much for posting the report Jovin.

Did the room you stayed in have a mosquito net?

No mosquito net but there is an electric mosquito repellent and mosquito coils provided in the room. If the electricity is running and the fan is blowing, it's fine. If the electricity got cut off, then got to rely on the coils to do the job ;-)

No mosquito net but there is an electric mosquito repellent and mosquito coils provided in the room. If the electricity is running and the fan is blowing, it's fine. If the electricity got cut off, then got to rely on the coils to do the job ;-)

Thanks, I'll remember to bring one when I go, never had good luck with coils...

And then, onto the diving…
Pulau Weh diving consists of a variety: full-adrenaline current drift diving, hot spring diving, deep diving, wreck diving, macro and shore diving amidst intensely rich marine life. During the plankton seasons (Nov - Jan) pelagic such as manta and devil ray, whale shark are frequent visitors. Underwater, the landscape was just as varied as its visitors. Each site is different and mostly spectacular. Many dive sites are characterized by big volcanic rock boulders with partial coral cover, with lots of nooks and crannies.

Lumba-lumba run 2 boat dives daily: a morning dive at 10am (with the exception on Friday due to the local religion practice) and an afternoon dive at 2pm or 2.30pm after lunch. Most of the dive sites are about 20-30 minutes away by boat. You can also do as many unguided shore dives and guided night dive is upon request only. The dive boat is a sturdy wooden boat & can accommodate up to 20 divers, via back-roll entry. The dive crew consists of very experienced local guides and boatmen and few foreign instructors. We did a total of 11 dives covering just few sites: The Canyon, Batee Tekong (2x), Arus Balee, Pantee Peunateung, Batee Gla and Gapang shore dives (5x). Water temperature was always around 28°C and visibility wasn’t at its best at this time of the year, ranging from 10-25 meters.

The Canyon – It’s the island trump card and a favorite for most big fish divers, located on the Northern tip of the island. Two huge volcanic rocks forming a canyon about 5 meters wide and drop down to 50 meters or so. The strong currents and nutrient rich water attracts pelagic species such as huge school of barracuda, Napoleon wrasse, gray reef sharks, manta and eagle rays, occasional oceanic white tips and very rarely Mola Mola. It is listed for advanced diving mainly due to the strong currents that can occur but the current was almost non-existent during our dive and so was the big pelagic. Nevertheless, we descended right in the middle of the canyon and saw a huge Napoleon wrasse being cleaned. The first rock was covered with many beautiful soft corals and huge gorgonian sea fans and teeming with fish life. The view was just breathtaking. The second rock has less coral growths but more deep crevasses; it also has an abundance of reef fish, from schools of triggerfishes to free-swimming lionfishes to brilliantly colored anthias and fusiliers. My fiber optic cable wasn’t working so I did not take any photograph on this dive. This gave me an opportunity to look at the reef more closely and I enjoyed every bit of this unique fish bowl.

Batee Tokong - A steep slope densely covered with magnificent gorgonian sea fans most measuring one meter or more in width, continues downwards till well over 40 meters, where a second wall starts. This dive site has an amazing number of moray eels and so named the “No. 1 Moray city in the World”. Numerous masked morays with accompanying cleaner shrimps concentrated on one part of the reef, counted at least a dozen or two, and you’ll have to be careful when getting near for photography as one will stick it’s head out of it’s hiding place unexpectedly. Giant, fimbriated, white-eye, snowflake, white-mouth, honeycombed, zebra and yellow margined morays are also commonly sighted. There is also an abundance of hard corals providing a home for many species of brightly colored reef fish and the sheer concentration of the creatures here is astounding. The sea conditions here transitioned very quickly. On one dive, it was bright and sunny we descended and there were some mild currents and it was fine for the first 25 minutes. I was spending too much photographing the gobies and hawk fishes on the sea fans at 30 meters depth and hit deco. As I worked my way up the slope to clear my 7 minutes deco-stop, the sea just turned dark suddenly and the currents were ripping. I found a big rock, hid behind it and hang on. Looking up, I saw white patches out in the blue and thought they were schools of jacks but as they got closer, I realized that they were whirlpools created by the ocean currents. They just drifted passed, one after another and each one getting bigger. I was lucky enough to have ascended to shallower depth and hiding behind a rock, I could have been sucked into the whirlpools? WOW! This was the first time I have witnessed something like this. Pretty freaky but what an enthralling sight! 15 minutes later, the currents became manageable. I have completed my deco-stop and surfaced to a gloomy sky with heavy rain and strong winds. That was Mother Nature at work!

Arus Balee – meaning bastard current in Acehese and is the name of the water passage around the rocky pinnacle between the islands of Seulako and Rubiah. This narrow passage often sees lots of strong current bringing with them, sharks, rays and other current loving sea creatures. It was a mass of moving color and a spectacular sight to watch as streams of neon bright fusiliers, anthias and other colorful reef fish were out to play, swimming against the currents. It is also the best site for spotting Blue ribbon eels; here you can easily manage to find both the black juvenile as well as the blue male adult, and sometimes even the yellow female adult. Ignoring the No. 1 rule of diving: Look into the blue occasionally, I saw 6 ribbon eels, 2 blue and 4 black and was so focused on photographing them that I missed the 3 Manta rays, which the other groups saw. Feeling a little disappointed, I would have to “kill” myself if it was a Megamouth shark.

Gapang Beach Shore Dive – Right in front of Lumba-lumba, the shore dive is a great-relaxed dive where we immersed in a profusion of hard coral garden and anemones, evidently minimal damage from the Asia’s 2004 Tsunami. Amongst them, there are an abundance of reef fish and prolific communities of invertebrates. The place is literally teaming with life. The reef is also densely populated by an abundance of butterfly fishes and snappers, scorpion and lionfishes, razor fishes, schools of red tooth triggerfishes and many more. On the sand you can find swaying carpets of garden eels, Flying gurnards, pipe-horses, ribbon eels, flounders, snake eels and many more.

Topside-wise, there wasn’t much to do. The dive shop has a large comfortable deck facing the sea where most guests chill-out, read books or simply take a siesta in the hammock. Internet is sporadically available but I gave up after trying for 10 minutes to log onto my emails. At every surface interval, daddy and I were engrossed on playing Bejeweled on his I-phone and challenging to beat each other’s high scores. Eventually, I have set a high score that will probably take him months to beat ;-) On Friday’s afternoon, we finished dive early and started drinking the bottle of “Jack Daniels” which we had bought with Ingrid and the dive crew. On our last night on the island, we invited the dive crew and some of the new friends we quickly befriended, Michael and Sergi from Germany and Erik and Simone from Holland for dinner. The evening was wonderful with a delicious feast of 2 huge grilled fish, chicken curries, and shrimps, vegetables and of course beers, amongst dive tales, “sugar daddy” jokes and endless laughter. Yo-Yo used the phrase “Never try, Never know” so often that it has got embedded in my head. Funny!! We ended the night with a nice whisky back at Michael and Sergi’s veranda, calling it one for the road and we promised to keep in touch.

Walking down memory lane in Pulau Weh, despite not seeing the evasive Megamouth shark, we found what we came for - great diving, interesting people and a tranquil atmosphere to slip into a groove. It was wonderful to be able to see Ton, Marjan, Richard, and everyone else again, and good to also meet the new faces who had stopped over at Lumba-lumba. One day, we would like to be back.

Here is the link to my photos: Jovin's Cool Photos!! :: Pulau Weh 5th Aug to 10th Aug 2008

Happy bubbles,
Jovin-
Jovin

Excxellent report. I'm planning to go next July. I have one concern, that is the mosquitos, as I will be travelling with a 3 year old boy, and I am nervous about the malaria situation. Did you taken anything for malaria?

We're going beginning of May...any recent reports? Also, anyone care to comment on getting from the airport to the ferry and onto Weh and finally L2? Problems comments etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom