What made you get into SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
While swimming laps in the pool today I got to thinking.. What makes everyone take the "plunge" and finally sign up for classes.
I really enjoy swimming. Although, laps can get boring it always gives me time to ponder important life decisions.
I think my love for being in the water, and a snorkel trip 17 years ago, that had divers on the boat, stuck with me, and made me want to dive.
I'd love to hear other stories.... gives me something to think about during those long laps.
:sunny:

Well, for me, I got bored one summer and decided I needed an adventurous hobby. I had about $1500 in my piggy bank, and I narrowed it down to buying an ultra-light helicopter that I saw at a show at a mall for that amount, or scuba diving. I love the ocean, and I love seafood, especially crab, and I figured I could dive year-round and get all the fresh crustacean I could eat. Well, I was right about the first part, but the first few times I tried chasing after the little *&%! in their own environment (Dungeness crab in this case), I decided that the high price per pound in the store wasn't so bad after all, so I kept on diving and took up underwater photo instead. Been at it for 7 years, 320 dives.

It was the only way to get to some of the places I wanted to go.
Rick

I decided that I had waited long enough to learn to scuba. I had been snorkeling for oh more years than I care to admit. Might give my age away. Lets put it this way I began snorkeling in 1969 and have wanted to get closer to the fish ever since. We take a vacation every winter to warm waters, and I have been threatening to learn to dive for the last 3-5 years. This winter I couldn't get my husband to take the classes but I did on my own. Since I had an opportunity to go to Maui in June I finally made it happen.
I got closer to the fish and wow do I love it.

Bottoms up....Bubbles up!
Cindy

When i was 17 i took a class in scuba in Georgia. At the end of the class and ready for the open dive Ii got an ear infection and never did my open water dives. when i was that age I was on the swim team and worked with the redcross as a SWI. Well I forgot all about diving until my nephew e-mailed me from the gulf(on a Navy ship). and said he was a divemaster and wanted me to go with him when he gets back. So here I is.....

I was actually dating a girl about 5 years ago who's family had a week long trip to cozumel planned ..after about a month one thing lead to another and they asked if i too wanted to get certified with the family and go along to cozumel.... it sounded like a fun vacation so i was all for it .....well we all got our c-cards <in february no less bbrrrr> Welp about 1 month before the trip we split up and we decided it'd be better if i didn't go .....i was really bummed and didn't dive all that year ..next year i happened to meet a guy who took divers spear fishing here locally and i made my first trip....ive been making about 8 trips a season ever since plus whatever other fresh water diving i do ... i still havent made it to cozumel but getting my C card was one of the best things to ever happen to me and i plan on diving till i cant dive anymore :)

I mentioned it in my introduction but I will say it again, I first got interested in Scuba from watching "Sea Hunt" as a kid. However, for years, I never could get around to taking dive lessons until just over 10 years ago when I finally got certified. Since then, I have made over 200 dives and will finally get to work later this year on becoming a divemaster.

I first got interested in scuba years and years and years ago:) watching Sea Hunt...hello Mitch. Never got around to doing anything about it until my wife and I decide to take a cruise later this year. One whole day in Cozumel was all the inspiration I needed to finally take the plunge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom