Basic first for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, I think I'd like a computer - but I'm a recreational diver and will likely not go to NITROX. I think a baseline air only, air integrated, in-console variety will do me fine. I see two online that seem to be about what I am looking for (and I need a console to boot). What do you think? Your recommendations, if different? Both are under $250. Features seem to be about the same. So - which to get?

Any reason one is better than the other? Warranty? Problems? Etc.

- Aeris XR-1 Computer Console with Compass
- Oceanic "Veo 100" Dive Computer Triple Navcon SWIV Console

Appreciate your thoughts.

MAXIMILLION

I don't think either of those units are air integrated computers, I'm sure the veo 100 is not. All AI computers I have seen are nitrox capable, and quite a bit more than $250 new.

I like the Veo, simple solid puck style unit that will go in an spg console or in a wrist boot. Before I bought my own computer I had used it as a rental on several occasions.

edit: I looked up the other unit and it is also not Air Integrated, it is just combined in a console along with your spg. It does not track your gas for you.

Both are not AI,both are good computers and both are nitrox.btw almost all, if not all, new computers are made for nitrox and air.
If you want AI on a hose think about 600/700 $(Oceanic PP2 is a nice one)

Last edited:
THanks for your comments! I did, in fact mis-speak saying that the two computers I mentioned were "air integrated". In fact, they are not, however the set-ups I looked at had them in a console vice on wrist set-ups. They in fact don't monitor your air.

I do question at the $250 price range i noted them for on the internet however, if they are NITROX compatible. They are advertised as AIR computers and not specifically NITROX compatible. They in fact seem to have a variation that is NITROX compatible for another $100. I don;t expect to dive NITROX, but . ..

THAnks again for your thoughts.

The veo 100 that says nx after it is the nitrox capable computer, when i bought my first computer i wasnt certified for nitrox but still bought a omputer that was nitrox capable, that way when i became nitrox certified, almost 2 years later i already had a computer that would do everything that i wanted to do and did not have to spend another $300 dollars for a computer at the time.

I picked up my Suunto Gekko last year at my LDS on a sale, $250. Nitrox capable, it's a great little computer. I went wrist mount, which I liked better than a consol mount. It can be turned into a downloadable model with a very minor mod.

I also like my Gekko. My dive buddy also has a Gekko, but bought a Nitek Duo for a tech class. He likes his Gekko better for rec diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom