Picking a Speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fineout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, ive been looking for a cheapish gun for the areas around RI. Everything around here has all bad vis so i dont think that i would need a huge gun, right? So far im looking at the JB Biller 36, is this a good gun? I read a little in the search, just havent found much. Any input or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

ill be mostly doing scuba, and ive read all the bitching and moaning about scuba spearing, but i havent taken any freediving classes yet and dont really have the money to take them anyway. once i have an extra 250$ laying around im gunna take a class and start freediving.

I use an AB Biller 36 in California for Cod, kelp bass and small to medium halibut. It works wonderful and is small enough to maneuver in and around the kelp. It is a great gun. I also have a Riffe Competitor 3x which I use for sea bass, tuna, big halibut and that sort of thing. The Ab Biller 36 is my favorite though. Very easy to load and use. It is a great gun; don't even think twice about it.

I have had a Riffe #3 standard rigged for salt (stainless w/ice pick tip) for almost 16 years and it is still as good to go today as it was back then. I paid a little more back then but all I do is buy new bands every three years or so. I have buddies that have ABs and JBLs and they have not had any trouble that I am aware of. All of my friends that have used pneumatics have had trouble though so my advice would be to go banded and dont buy something cheap - get what you want.

Ended up getting a JBL 38 northwest edition, didnt get any fish today but i shot it to see how itd work, and it seemed pretty nice.

I used to have a AB Biller 48,... No doubt a great gun strong accurate 15- 20 ft, But the gun really depends on the type of fishing your doing, your not gonna use a 48 to shoot 14-18" Gray snapers, they work great on large groupers though I also have a Cressi sub pneumatic small compact and only about 16-17'" long, and it works great on fish 10-15" long within about 8-10' from the tip of the gun
it's like hunting out of the water,... one gun may kill the same animal but certain ones do it better depending on what your shootin...

Vis is relative. The Biller 36 is adequate if range is 6 feet or less. It will penetrate a 5 lb sheepshead or tautog (blackfish). If the majority of days see 10 feet vis I would get the Biller 42. Use one band for hole shots. Get a heavy duty detachable head with rock point. Alternately, I believe that "Tahitian shafts" are available for this gun either from Biller, Ray Odor or Spearcrafters. What you would be looking for is a regular string shaft which has a pointed barb at the tip, not threaded. These things are almost as effective as a detachable and a little quicker overall. When the tip dulls grind it down a little. There is a lot of info on these and related matters on Spearboard. Forget the classes, start free diving off jetties and rocks. Get a reel for your gun, plastic type for your Biller 42 mahogany so that the gun FLOATS without spear. Purchase a low volume, frameless mask and Mares Avanti Super Channel fins. Get an old fashioned J snorkel with no valves. Use a heavy weight belt for shallow water and take off 5 lbs for deeper water. Give consideration to a CO2 vest like the military UDT model. Make sure it is in working condition before each diving day. Find a free diver buddy.
Pesky

Back
Top Bottom