BC Rides Up...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DailyLunatic

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have always had a problem keeping my BCD from 'ridding up' on me. Halfway through a dive I would always have to stop and pull the belly strap down from around my chest. Sometimes several times. My body type then, and even now, is not conducive to keeping that strap in place.

That was before I lost about 60#, and I now have a BC that is too large.... and rides up. Thus, I'm looking at getting a new BC. I have been looking at several different styles (all online so far as my LDS is very small) and noticed that on the more 'techie' types there is a crotch strap.

1] Would you recommend adding a crotch strap to a vest type BC? Thus allowing me to keep the too large BC.

2] Are there any vest types that come with this feature, or will I have to go to the back inflate styles?

I like what many people here are saying about the back inflation types, and I'm not ruling them out. I just want to make sure I know all my options.

Thanx
:creeper:

I believe that some major manufacturers make crotch straps that can be added to their BC's. I used to dive an Oceanic Chute II that had an available add-on strap. Instead of getting a strap for my old BC, I got a backplate and harness (which has a crotch strap) and could not be happier with the switch.

The best thing you can do is try several different setups and get a feel for what best suits you. Keep in mind that how a BC functions in the water is far more important than how it looks or even feels on the surface.

crab once bubbled...
The best thing you can do is try several different setups and get a feel for what best suits you. Keep in mind that how a BC functions in the water is far more important than how it looks or even feels on the surface.

I agree with your statement about looks. That was not one of my considerations.

Forgot to mention an important point. My BCD has a velcro cumberbun and I didn't know if they made a crotch strap that worked with that.

Also, as my LDS is so small, does anyone have any recomendations/suggestions as to where I could try out a BC before buying?

Thanx again,
:creeper:

My old Chute II had a velcro cumberbund as well. I never got the crotch strap for it, so I can't say how it worked.

As for trying out different makes/models, you might have to do a bit of driving to larger areas (where there is more than one shop) to try on different BC's. Of course, seeing that you are from Texas, a little driving might be more like A LOT of driving. In any case, getting to a larger city with more than one shop is really the only way to try on what's out there.

problem with her bc, that's why she transitioned to a BP/W with a crotchstrap. Solved the problem, and she likes the minimalist design.

I would suggest looking into a Backplate and Wings setup. It's the only BC that offers a truely custom fit and a crotch strap. Fits great, is very comfortable, streamlined and performs flawlessly.

DailyLunatic once bubbled...
Forgot to mention an important point. My BCD has a velcro cumberbun and I didn't know if they made a crotch strap that worked with that.

You could probably have someone sew one of those plastic quick disconnect buckles that comes on a small strip of nylon to the cumberbund. Sew a small d-ring to the rear of the jacket as an attachment point. I'm sure that even a one inch strap would be a lot more helpful in helping it to stay in place.

One thing you should be aware of tho. Using a backplate, if you are in a vertical position (not that you would want to be) if you don't have a crotch strap, the wing will tend to pivot at your shoulder and pull away from the lower part of you back first.

Same position on a jacket, and it will tend to rise straight up until it's around your neck. That tendency could be rather painful if you are in this position and inflate too much while wearing a crotch strap...

For my $$ and if I had it to do all over again, backinflate is where I would have started.

just a thought, but how much weight are you carrying? Is it on your waist? If you are overweighted on your waist, you will be sinking and your BC will require more air to keep you neutral, and will ride up in relation to your body. Test yourself at the end of a dive, when your tank is at 500psi, you should have little or no air in your BC. If you can let out air and sink easily at the end of a dive, you can drop some weight, which might help in your situation.

The backplate/wing combo is the way to go.

My advice is to buy the BC you like in a size that fits. The next thing you should look at is your weighting and trim. If you have too much weight or are wearing it too low, your body will orient itself with your head up and feet down. The weights pull you down and the air in the BC pulls it up. Two features on most BC's that help with this are weight integration and trim pockets.

Weight integration keeps the lead with the BC so you and the BC are not going in opposite directions. Trim pockets allow the diver to move weight near to his head to improve trim and keep the diver horizontal. On some BC's it is possible to thread a weight on the camband, even if there is no trim pocket.

With a backplate, the crotchstrap is really not optional. It just will not work right without it because the metal plate has no friction to hold it in place. Generally, vest type BC's are not designed to be used with a crotchstrap. An example of a back inflate BC which can be used with or without a crotchstrap is the Transpac II. I use one without the crotchstrap and it does not ride up. However, I am flat level in the water.

I strongly suspect that if you work out the weighting and trim issues you will no longer desire a crotchstrap.

Because I do not know what kind of diving you do, I am hesitant to recommend any particular type of BC, even the one that I use. However, others are not so hesitant. They must think their choice works for everyone everywhere better than everything else. Something to think about.

When I first started using a BP, I dived it with the crotchstrap stowed and it caused no problems, even in heavy surge and stiff currents. The cylinder stayed stable even without the CS.

I've seen several divers who completely removed the CS and they have no problems either...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom