Clark Hill 8/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Back in town after a week in Cozumel. Salt diving was nice but must either freshwater dive or wash gear:D. Diving E.Dam Sunday at 1pm for those who left messages.

that i s good news to me. Some of the lines that lead to different things looked like they needed to be fixed up some. I stink at navigating so I rely on your lines.

that i s good news to me. Some of the lines that lead to different things looked like they needed to be fixed up some. I stink at navigating so I rely on your lines.

Actually they are not my lines and I didn't put them down. To be honest, I prefer that folks work on enhancing their navigation skills rather than relying on lines. How does that saying go - "If you give a man a fish, you feed him once. However, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime." Enhancing navigation skills through an advanced or navigation class (and practice, practice) is much more meaningful than just following a line. Lines are fine for folks who are very new to the site and have no idea where things are found, but dependency on them rather than working on navigational skills is a much less satisfying option. Early in my diving career, I certainly qualified as "navigationally challenged". On a Blackbeard's charter many (many, many) moons ago, I had to surface 5 times to find a shallow wreck (partly exposed at the surface) that lay less than 200' from our anchored ship:shakehead: That was my motivation to work on my navigation. Next time you dive the lines, note the compass headings and depth - you will be surprised at how much easier finding things becomes and how quickly your skills progress.
Between anchors and fishmen, the lines need fixing regularly.

I must agree with you. The part I am missing is a good map. I may try amd bring my boat up soon and use the GPS to creat a map. I think that would help me alot.

I did go play in the pool yesterday and practice navigation. I know it is not a lake but practice is practice.

I must agree with you. The part I am missing is a good map. I may try amd bring my boat up soon and use the GPS to creat a map. I think that would help me alot.

I did go play in the pool yesterday and practice navigation. I know it is not a lake but practice is practice.

Come dive with us sometimes. We gladly welcome others. We generally dive most weekends. PM for details. you are right, the lines were a mess. I've repaired the one from the missle (fuel tank) to the 80' wall. Victim of fishermen or so it seems -monofilament and lure. What are they thinking- the lines are less than a foot off the bottom and in 70' of water.

Vis was not great this Sunday - 'course after Coz, anything less than 150' looks bad:D. Seriously, we had two dives:95' for 59 minutes and 92' for dive time of 58 min. We dove both walls. Vis was 10-15' on the 100' wall, 10' on the 80' wall, the upper part of the 40' ledge is finally clearing - maybe 6', 6' in the hydrilla, about 8' on the rocks and 10' on the plane. There is a nasty layer about 30'-40'. Note: the depths I give for the various stuff is based on full pool depths (ie 80'wall, 40' ledge). We are almost 14' down now so do the math. I have a map that has been circulated a bit that I'm revising to include the new stuff on the 100' wall and the replacement bouy moved from the 55' ledge to near the 100' wall.

Back
Top Bottom