New to hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IE_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

So i picked up an old Arbalete Champion speargun for 10 bucks at a garage sale. the gun is actually in great shape: the trigger mechanism is functional and the shaft is sealed. but the spear shaft is corroded and there are no elastic bands.

so are all spear shafts created equal? meaning is the non-pointy end on all shafts the same? mine has two grooves that lock into the triggering mechanism. how do i know what length of spear shaft I need?

How about elastic bands?

Lastly, is there a source for me to find out where i can legallaly shoot fish in California (scuba and free diving).

Thanks for your help.

Jason

Jason,

an7y well stocked dive shop should be able to provide you with a new shaft, barbed head and powerbands for your spear gun. While at it try changing out the line connecting the spear to the gun. It maybe rotted out and would break under little stress.

Learning to hunt underwater, should start at a local dive shop. . . buying a bargain speargun, may or may not fit in with putting good fish on your table. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
So i picked up an old Arbalete Champion speargun for 10 bucks at a garage sale. the gun is actually in great shape: the trigger mechanism is functional and the shaft is sealed. but the spear shaft is corroded and there are no elastic bands. so are all spear shafts created equal? meaning is the non-pointy end on all shafts the same? mine has two grooves that lock into the triggering mechanism. how do i know what length of spear shaft I need? How about elastic bands?

Lastly, is there a source for me to find out where i can legallaly shoot fish in California (scuba and free diving).
Jason

Learning to hunt underwater, should start at a local dive shop. . . buying a bargain speargun, may or may not fit in with putting good fish on your table. You're putting the cart before the horse. At local dive shops, you can find out about where to learn local spearfishing regulations. . . With many local dives you can learn to identify good tasting fish from bad, or dangerous contaminated fish. Meeting and talking with local divers you can find out what equipment is best suited for your local area. . . and who will take you out for those first hunting trips. Spearfishing is not for the beginning diver. . . you'll scare the fish by poor movements. . . and you'll scare dive partners, if while "fixing your bouyancy" you point a spear at them.

Dive a lot, learning about fish while you learn more about diving, will make you popular with other local divers. When you are respected for your dive skill, you'll meet spearfishermen that will help you get started with spearfishing.

Some hunting tips that you can learn from, with out a gun in your hand. . . Fish are not smart, but they are not stupid either. Fish ignore behavior of non threatening fish or strange objects blowing bubbles. If a larger fish, or bubble blower, turns toward it, focuses its eyes on it, its natural reaction is to flee a predator. As a diver, carefully avoid sudden motions, move closer to fish by moving at an angle, or sideways, slowly toward any target fish. Don't "look" too much at the fish. When you are ready to shoot a fish with a camera, or a speargun. . . swim sideways to the fish. Fish have no native fear of the sides of any predator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom