If you were to buy a second computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife has a Suunto Mosquito and I still think it's an awesome little thingamabob. I've been using an old borrowed Oceanic Prodigy and while it's doing a good job, I feel the time has come for me to get a new computer.

My question is, do I get the same as my wife or do I get something else? If I get something else, do I get another Suunto model or do I get another manufacturer altogether?

A part of me thinks that it might be useful if we both have the same computer. That way, we will both know each other's computer well, elliminating any confusion that might arise.

Another part of me thinks that it might be useful having two different computers using two different algorithms. That way we will always have two "opinions" on when to surface, what stops to make etc. and we can choose to follow the more conservative one of the two.

Finally, if we do get different computers, I am currently thinking of getting the Suunto Vyper, mostly because I really like Suunto but also because I already have the download cable etc. which would work on the Vyper as well. However, I reckon there won't be much of a difference in the Mosquito and the Vyper's "opinions" though.

Your thoughts?

My wife has a Suunto Mosquito and I still think it's an awesome little thingamabob. I've been using an old borrowed Oceanic Prodigy and while it's doing a good job, I feel the time has come for me to get a new computer.

My question is, do I get the same as my wife or do I get something else? If I get something else, do I get another Suunto model or do I get another manufacturer altogether?

A part of me thinks that it might be useful if we both have the same computer. That way, we will both know each other's computer well, elliminating any confusion that might arise.

Another part of me thinks that it might be useful having two different computers using two different algorithms. That way we will always have two "opinions" on when to surface, what stops to make etc. and we can choose to follow the more conservative one of the two.

Finally, if we do get different computers, I am currently thinking of getting the Suunto Vyper, mostly because I really like Suunto but also because I already have the download cable etc. which would work on the Vyper as well. However, I reckon there won't be much of a difference in the Mosquito and the Vyper's "opinions" though.

Your thoughts?

When considering a new computer, evauluate the type of diving you are currently are doing and may want to get into.

Your thoughts?

I'd suggest sticking with Suunto. The algorithms are fairly conservative (a good thing IMO). You will enjoy your diving more if both your computers track fairly closely and allow you to surface at almost the same time. Otherwise the diver with the less conservative computer should wait till his/her buddies computer says surface.

I have a Suunto D6, but haven't got it wet yet. :(

The D4 would be a good choice as well.

I seriously looked at the Cressi Edy II wrist computer. My Cressi Archimedes II console computer that uses the same algorithms as the Edy tracks fairly close to the Suunto (Stinger) as well. So may be a choice?

There are three of us in our family and we all dive Suunto. My wife and son both have the Gekko. I have the D6 and use the Gekko as my backup. The D6 is hard for an old guy like me to read. I'm thinking of getting the Viper 2 and giving the D6 to my son who has much better vision. We really like the Gekko. I think it is the best value.

Unless there is some really specific reason you want some other computer, I would buy another Suunto to have the same or similar algorithm and operation as your wife's. (And maybe batteries, and then there's that cable.) There's plenty of choices within the line.

I don't really see the advantage of a "second opinion" of the sort you're describing. If you're diving a computer, dive the computer - I don't think it makes sense to follow someone else's computer when the mood strikes. That's little different than 2 people diving one computer which is not generally recommended, for one thing your profiles are rarely identical. And you'd hardly want to bend the more conservative one to follow the other. Maybe, a second opinion is helpful to tell if one of the computers is malfunctioning, and for that you'd want similar computers.

Since your buddy (your wife) is using a Suunto which is a conservative computer there is no point in your using a computer which would be less conservative.
So what you need is a computer that uses the same algorithm whether it has other features or not. The best match would be the same model.
The reason for this choice is that as buddies you are going to end the dive based on the need of the buddy who first needs to surface. If 1 buddy uses a conservative computer then in most cases that buddy will end up calling the end of the dive.

I'm with the folks who say to stick with the same algorithm. But you don't have to stick with the same computer, unless you like it.

My husband and I have Mosquitoes, and they're nice little computers for travel, because you can wear them in lieu of a watch. But the display is quite small, and for my purposes, there is no gauge mode. I replaced the Mosquito with a Vytec, which I liked much better. It has a very large display and if I remember right, it has a stopwatch, which I used. My husband now uses the Vytec, and bought the transmitter to make it air-integrated.

I went to an Aladin Tec 2g, but it's not a problem that it's a different algorithm, because I dive it in gauge mode (no decompression information).

Thanks for all the answers, I think I've made up my mind that it will be a Suunto. The decision now is which one but I'm leaning heavily towards the Vyper.

TSandM, I've always wondered about the Gauge mode. Could you explain to me perhaps why one would want to use a computer in Gauge mode? What sort of information does that give you that you can't get from Air/Nitrox mode?

In Gauge mode the computer is doing just that...acting like a depth/time/temp guage.

It doesn't do any of the deco/no deco calculations.

As a recreational diver, I've never had need for guage mode, and would only consider using it if I was diving with more than one computer, and even then, I think i'd still keep the backup computer is proper dive mode.

as for your choice, the Vyper is a nice option i think. Well priced too compared with the other local suunto computers

Deefstes, it doesn't give you more information. It gives you less.

The vast majority of recreational divers should be using a computer with decompression information, although it would be helpful if they did some advance planning as well.

Some of us prefer to do the monitoring of the dive ourselves, which involves learning to pay very close attention to your depth and time, and memorizing tables. You have to dive a lot and practice a lot to become good at it. It's a fair amount of work, and certainly not reasonable for someone who only dives, for example, on a couple of vacation trips each year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom