suunto mosquito died while underwater :( question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matva

Registered
Reaction score
ok so i replaced the battery on my suunto after not using it for like a year. I lubbed the seal up with silicon and everything and was careful putting the battery back in.

when i took it under i found 1min into dive it died on me. I opened it up when i got to surface and found a bunch of moist black gunk all over it.

the watch is out of warranty. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix it. I have not done anything with it (black gunk is still in there)

Its like a $250 watch so if i can fix it for significantly less i would definitely want to do that.

on a side note, the dive was awesome after not having dove in a year.

TIA.

First thing would have been to immediately put it in fresh water but i guess its too late for that.

The big suuntos (vyper,gecko,vytec) the battery compartment is separate from the main electronics so a flood wont kill them changing the battery. Dont know if the watch type ones have that feature though.

Best bet is to contact suunto and see if they can recommend a dealer.

join the list of "happy" mosquito users. Try a Dive Rite Nitek Duo if you have to toss the mosquito. I've replaced the batteries several times (have 2), it's reliable, reasonable profiles, and easy to use. I had 2 mosquitos the first went "walking", so I don't know how it held up after the battery died. The second crapped out right after the battery was changed out with a the little kit SUUNTO sells. Other folks have reported a number of sensor issues w/ that model.

ok so i replaced the battery on my suunto after not using it for like a year. I lubbed the seal up with silicon and everything and was careful putting the battery back in.

when i took it under i found 1min into dive it died on me. I opened it up when i got to surface and found a bunch of moist black gunk all over it.

the watch is out of warranty. Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can fix it. I have not done anything with it (black gunk is still in there)

Its like a $250 watch so if i can fix it for significantly less i would definitely want to do that.

on a side note, the dive was awesome after not having dove in a year.

TIA.

Unfortunately, it would cost more than it's worth to have repaired.

I doubt the warranty would cover a user change of the battery if it were in warranty anyway?

I will have that dilemma with my D6 in 2 or 3 years, but will probably not attempt it myself as I don't want to take the risk after spending nearly AUD$800.

You should replace the O-ring on every change, carefully clean the groove the seal sits in and contacts, as well as only use a SMALL amount of silicon. Just enough to leave a smooth sheen on the O-ring. The O-Ring shouldn't look as though it's dripping wet.

The black gunk is probably the by product of a reaction between the salt water and the battery?

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the info guys.

join the list of "happy" mosquito users. Try a Dive Rite Nitek Duo if you have to toss the mosquito. I've replaced the batteries several times (have 2), it's reliable, reasonable profiles, and easy to use. I had 2 mosquitos the first went "walking", so I don't know how it held up after the battery died. The second crapped out right after the battery was changed out with a the little kit SUUNTO sells. Other folks have reported a number of sensor issues w/ that model.

Great to know, makes me feel a little less bad.

the black gunk seemed like it got sucked through the cracks around buttons, into the battery chamber. Not really sure though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom