SubStrobe DS-160 Nikonos Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am about to order a 160 for use with a Canon S640 in a Ike housing using the manual controler. I intend to keep it for a long time for whnever I get the $$'s for DSLR in a housing.

But, I would also like to use it with my Nikonos III and V cameras. What is the correct Nik V to DS-160 cable number and can the 160 be hooked into the Nike III? I want to keep the Nike III for deep water (> 200').

Last, with the point and shoot, do I need to use the reflector that came with the housing or is there enough flash to trigger the manual controler without?

Pete

Pete,

The DS-160 is fully compatible and operates TTL with Nikonos IV and V cameras using the #4104.6 single sync cord. Unfortunately we no longer offer a sync cord compatible with the older Nikonos III camera.

The EV Manual Controller is sensitive enough to pick up the camera's flash even in most cases even if there is no deflector on the housing. However, the deflector prevents the camera's built-in flash from illuminating particles in the water that create backscatter in your image.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I have a cord for the Nike III to a small MS strobe, will that cord work for the DS-160 in manual mode?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom