Shark Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve78_old

Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaving for florida tuesday to dive Fort Lauderdale and Bimini Bahamas was wondering if anyone has dove these areas and if so what species of sharks are common to see? .. I'd like to read up on all of them so i can identify them if i happen to see some on any of my dives...thanks

Steve,
I know a few Marine Biologists' that go to Bimini every February to study the Lemon Sharks. ( I think they want to get out of Chicago that time of year) You'll probably see nurse sharks and reef sharks too. Friends just got back from Key Largo and saw a black tip shark, and a nurse shark.
Have fun!
:sunny:

Be on your best behavior Steve...or they will make you an offer that you can't refuse....(a different type of "finned" soup if you catch my meaning.....) :whoa:
Cheers you'd better be a fast swimmer ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

The ever Famous "mafia" sharks i hear they hang out around "dog track" and "horse Track" reefs ...and are known to break knees rather than biting:)

We saw nurse sharks the most, but also one bull shark near one of the wrecks. Terrific shore diving near Lauderdale-by-the-sea's commercial pier (you have to stay away from the pier itself, but you can dive near it). Three reefs, just depends on how much you want to swim out. Shower right there at one "entrance" to the beach, but I can't remember what street.

You need to watch out for the Florida drivers, too! Since they're from all over, you're probably more at risk on land.

They hang out in the local bars, and they feed right after dark....
Fins to the left..Fins to the right..and you're the only bait in town!!

Jimmy Buffett Rocks!!!

So far I've seen Caribbean reef sharks and nurse sharks. Jim Abernathy's boat does shark dives in (where else?) Shark Canyon up in West Palm Beach, I'm sure there are other charters that do that also.

Well nurse sharks will be cool i could do without seeing the bull sharks :) I know what pier your talking about i think i did some snorkling off the beach down from it a lil ways last year when i was down there visiting .....only 2 more days till im down there im getting more and more excited...<G>

Back
Top Bottom