New to underwater hunting, need help! ! !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowtie22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, my questions my be pretty common sense questions but I am going spearfishing on Saturday with a few friends of mine. We are heading to Ocean City, MD. We are not freediving we will be on SCUBA. I have seen many people go spearfishing but I have never paid really close attention to it. So here are my questions?

1- Should I borrow a speargun or buy one?

2- If I was to purchase a speargun prior to going what type should I get? (brand, type, how long, w/ or w/o a reel, what type of spearhead, etc.) I don't want to go crazy I would rather something cheap, even used would be fine.

3- What other equipment should I bring with me besides a speargun? What is the appropriate thing to put the catch in (a mesh bag, a line?)

4- Is there anything else that I should bring, or know before I go???

I am just trying not to look like a complete idiot out there... Thanks for your help

1) that depends on if you are going to keep doing it.

2) My first gun was an AB Biller. They're inexpensive, but effective. I still have it, and still let friends use it.
- No reel for scuba
- a hip loading gun is easier to load than a chest loader
- For how big, I'd ask how big you were? A 48" - 52" gun is fairly reasonable all purpose though.

3) Mesh bag or Stringer yep

4) you should know how to load, and shoot your gun safely. Don't ever load it on the boat or land. Keep it pointed down and away from anyone else.

- Most of all - be safe. If you have as many dives as you say in your profile... your buoyancy should be fine for hunting, and you shouldn't be too task loaded.

borrow a gun definitely for the first few times

do your first dive with an experienced guy, carry the gun but don't load it, practice your bouyancy, follow the other guy and watch and learn

second dive try loading a single band and shooting something small

NO LOADED GUNS ON THE BOAT. load and unload in the water.

have fun, check out Spearfishing Planet - Powered by vBulletin and SPEARING magazine

Thanks for the fast responses. I am 6'2" tall......I think my buoyancy will be fine, I do a lot of u/w photography and videography now so I am used to multi tasking under water while maintaining depth and stability. I think I will borrow a gun like suggested. I don't mind being a rookie to spearfishing, I just don't want to act like one out there. :bonk:

Last thing.... Is there any tips or trick anyone could offer up to make my 1st experience a good one???

Thanks again!!!

Your skills from photography will do you well... Take your time, and wait for the right shot. Just like taking pictures :wink:

One more quick question about the spearguns... I notice major price breaks between the Ab Biller's, the Jbl's, and I even saw some Cressi's..... Is any one better than the other, would you stay clear of a certain brand.

Same thing with the bands or pneumatic guns? I think I have only seen people use the banded guns... What is recommended? If banded how many bands 1, 2???

I think that will wrap up my battery of questions for tonight until I can think of more tomorrow...

Thanks...

Yes, good advice on not purchasing a gun. It is better to borrow or use a polespear initially until determining the best gun for hunting. No need to fork out money for a second gun if the initial purchase not well thought out.

Check MD regulations: such as no spearfishing within 100yds of of any private or public swimming areas, scuba diver’s flag, other than that used by the spear fisherman, vessel in the water or human being without specific advance permission.

I only fish and crab inside the Bay.

I may have different advice on spearfishing - do not just watch.

Go and kill something!!!

May want to check SpearBoard. There are forum members here and on SpearBoard that spearfish off OC.

SpearBoard has some good reviews on guns.

Welcome to the Department of Natural Resources Thats your link to the Maryland Department Of Natural Resources Page

08.02.05.01 08.02.05.01
.01 Methods of Fishing in Tidal Waters.

A. Use of Spear Gun or Spear.

(1) As used in this regulation, "spear gun" means any type of device used for propelling a spear under water by any means other than manual in order to catch fish.

(2) A person may not kill, try to kill, or otherwise injure fish by the use of a spear gun except as provided in this regulation.

(3) A person may take or shoot fish with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the State from June 15 to December 31, inclusive, with the following exceptions:

(a) A person may not take or shoot striped bass (Morone saxatilis) with a spear gun and spear in the tidal waters of the State;

(b) A person may take or shoot carp, garfish, skate, bullfish, shark, oyster toads, swelling toads, American eel, sea lamprey, sting rays, or any other ray fish with a spear gun and spear at any time.

(4) A person may not use a spear or spear gun without specific advance permission within 100 yards of any:

(a) Human being;

(b) Public or private swimming area;

(c) International diving flag; or

(d) Vessel other than that used by the spear fisherman.

:coffee:
unless you are targeting the fish such as carp and ray fish. Fish taken from the EEZ (federal waters) are subject to both federal and Maryland creel and size regulations if possessed in Maryland. Federal waters are beyond the 3-mile line from the coast and called the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
Here is you like to regulations for Maryland about fish size and creel limits in the Atlantic and Coastal Bays. Coastal Bays Regulations

FYI the bay and its tribs are different see: Summary of Maryland Tidal Recreational Fisheries Regulations

Hope you have fun!

This is information out of the Maryland Boating handbook.

Diving Activities
The Navigation Rules require vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver to display
appropriate day shapes or lights.

To meet this requirement, recreational vessels engaged in diving activities during the day must exhibit a rigid replica of the international code flag “A” not less than one meter in height.

At night, display navigation lights 360 degrees red on top, white in middle and red on the bottom.

This requirement does not affect the use of a red and white diver flag used to mark a divers location.

dive-flag-display.gif

We are heading to Ocean City, MD.

Hello,

I just left the White Marlin Open in OC, MD and I'm fishing the Mid Atlantic in Cape May NJ this week. I'm coming back to OC after the tournament, where we have had one of the best yellowfin runs in recent history this summer.

How long are you going to be in OC(???), I have a couple guns you can try when I get back....

Regards,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom