Night Dive @ Ft Wetherill on Aug 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bean_Counter67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking to do a night dive at Wetherill on Wednesday night. We normally head up to Cape Ann but don't feel like fighting the traffic in that direction. So, time to head south and have some fun in RI.

It has been a few years since I was there. I know via the state website says the park is open sunrise to sunset. Did they install a gate or something to lock out traffic after sunset? Just curious... It's been I while since I was last there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

I actually just gave the RIDEM Environmental Police a call. They aren't interested in hassling divers - they're more looking for people on the prowl throughout the park involved in valdalism. However, don't be surprised if they check in on you - just say hi and be friendly.

Remember that it's illegal to lobster in RI without a RI license, so do *not* get caught poaching lobster - they don't kid around about that and they *are* likely to keep an eye on you to see if you're lobstering.....

So as long as you're just nightdiving and not poaching, they don't have a problem with it. :)

Last edited:
We just dove the site this past Sunday. There was a ton of jelly fish of all kind. Wade out a liitle further than the boat ramp. Lot's of fish to see. We saw a large sea horse. Great dive. Call the DEM before to give them a heads up that you will be diving there. They are pretty cool about. 401-222-3070

It has never been an issue for anyone I know diving there after dark, but as stated above there is a good chance DEM will check you, so make sure your dive flag is lit if you are diving after dark because one of the LDS owners told me they've been enforcing that lately.

Dive flag lit? Now that is definitely a new one to me. I am assuming they are just looking for a strobe to be tied to the bouy versus the flag. Or are they looking to have it tied off at the top of the shaft of the flag? Just curious as to how picky they may be.

Mitchell, thanks for the number. I'll check in with them latter on today or tomorrow. Sadie, I definitely would never be confused as a teenager. Drunken, well that is another story. The only thing I may take is something that may be interesting/useful for my wife to use for her classroom. You need to take studies to a practical an interesting level to keep kids engaged.

Thanks for the insight.

The state law says the flag must be illuminated after dark. Just tie a marker light or cyalume stick to the top of the flag or the float. So long as it is clearly visible and they shouldn't bother you. Don't use a strobe, use a contnuous light source.

We've always just ziptied a cyalume stick to the top ring of our flag (actually makes a good deal of sense IMO) - no biggie. Mitchell's idea of giving them a call on Wednesday to let them know you're going to be there that night is great...that way they can let the duty officer know to expect you to be there. The office is open from 8:30am to 4pm - the number Mitchell gave you is correct.

They're really not bad folks - no horns or tails ;-). Of course, they're concerned about lobster poaching, and vandalism, but they're not there to harrass divers. I've always found that just being friendly with them (and letting them know in advance that you're planning on being there) smooths the way to a great hassle-free dive. Have a great time - I love Wetherill as a night dive - I just wish I didn't have to work early the next day or I'd ask to join you! ;-)

P.S. Agreed with Mitchell on the jellyfish - I got stung on the cheek by something Sunday afternoon. Not really painful, just irritating. Bringing along some vinegar wouldn't be a bad idea just in case....

However - I just spoke with a marine biologist from URI as to what those long transparent chains with the white dots were - I was stumped, although people were calling them jellyfish eggs...not so. They're salps...communal tunicates that float around in chains - very fragile. He said that sometimes, a smaller organism will live inside them - so look closely when you see them. They don't sting. :) (Apparently what stung my cheek must've been a stray nematocyst or strand of tentacle from a jellyfish, since there weren't any actual jellyfish around other than comb jellies...)

Last edited:
Dove West Cove at night 8/1, working on AOW. The DEM officer was there when we were breaking down gear, very friendly, just asked if we had any lobsters and how the diving was.

Dove at Wetherill this past Sunday afternoon as well, those salps were everywhere. Did see comb jellies, and a lion's mane which was about a foot in diameter in about 6 feet of water in the rocks near the left wall.

I just got off the phone with DEM, they just said anything to illuminate the flag from cyalume stick to strobe light. I didn't matter to the desk sergant that was on the phone. He said the officers in the field are more concerned when the divers get into traffic areas. Either way, it looks like I'll be making a trip to the LDS to pick something else up. MORE TOYS & GEAR!

Mitchell & Sadie, thanks for the jellyfish warning. The idea of vinagar crossed my mind but not the actual execution of packing it. Thanks for the nudge on that.

Sadie, come on out... I am actually going to send an email to my dive club to see if there are any takers for tomorrow night. More the merrier!

Dove at Wetherill this past Sunday afternoon as well, (snip) Did see (snip) a lion's mane which was about a foot in diameter in about 6 feet of water in the rocks near the left wall.

Well - that would explain the sting on my cheek, then...I never saw it, but maybe there was a stray piece of tentacle floating around somewhere...the sting happened very soon after we submerged not far from the boat ramp...

Back
Top Bottom