Pursuit or X-1 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Trimix computer. IMHO there are only 2 options to consider:

Liquivision X-1 Liquivision X1 Home

and the Shearwater Pursuit Shearwater Research - Shearwater Pursuit SPOT

I *think* I know what my choice is

Opinions?

Edit: Dives will be the local mudhole,Cayman walls,Florida caves and small possibility of a rebreather sometime in the distant future.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Trimix computer. IMHO there are only 2 options to consider: Liquivision X-1 and the Shearwater Pursuit ... Opinions?
Haven't used the Pursuit (and hope that people who have will comment), so there may be bias toward the X1. 1) You will pay more for the X1, and then more for the planning software; 2) The display on the Pursuit looks an awful lot like the Nitek He display, which is not as readable in dark conditions as I would like, even with 'backlighting' - the X1 LED display is phenomenal, and is probably one of the biggest drawing cards for the X1; 3) the X1 battery is rechargeable, and seems to have a good lifespan, the Pursuit info doesn't say how challenging battery changes are; 4) the Pursuit appears to have the usual buttons for control, while the X1 uses external finger taps to change screens, and enter data, which actually works surprisingly well. Of the two, I just don't think the lower cost of the Pursuit offsets the extra features and value of the X1. But, as I said, I am probably biased.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Trimix computer. IMHO there are only 2 options to consider:

Liquivision X-1 Liquivision X1 Home

and the Shearwater Pursuit Shearwater Research - Shearwater Pursuit SPOT

I *think* I know what my choice is

Opinions?

Edit: Dives will be the local mudhole,Cayman walls,Florida caves and small possibility of a rebreather sometime in the distant future.

I have friends with the Pursuit. I use an X1 (ohh, wow, I might be biased). They'll both do the job & do it well.

What deco model do you prefer. I basically went with the X1 for the VPM live algo. the small form factor, the OLED screen, the responsiveness of Ross to fix any problems & constant updats, .......... did I mention I might be a little biased, wow, ohh.

I'm a V-planner man so thats a plus for the X-1. Playing with gradient factor software though 10/80 comes real close to V-Planner +2 for dives to 200 feet,so maybe not a big issue.

I'm hoping to dive a Pursuit next month during Divetechs TekWeek in Cayman

I've never seen a Pursuit, but I have nothing but praise for the X1. The display is incomparable. The tap interface is easy to use, even when wearing dry gloves. The menus are completely intuitive. The device is easy to download and recharge. Tobin makes a boot for it (a big plus for me!) From what I've heard, it's superb interfacing with rebreathers. It's expensive, but trimix computers ARE.

My understanding is that the X-1 can not be wired directly to O2 cells in a rebreather? The Pursuit can read 3 cells.

Yes, at the moment this is correct. I hear this will change in the near future.

I just got the Pursuit, I was down to the same two models as you. The pursuit is a great unit. Very simple to use, very intuitive functionality, the backlight is automatic, so as soon as ambient light drops, it turns on. Batteries are user replaceable and is done very easily. Batteries are designed to last at least a year, even w/ the auto backlight. It does not have standard buttons, it has piezo buttons so there really aren't any moving parts to break. They are more like the contacts on a uwatec BT. I am getting comfortable w/ the GF algorithm. I really like being able to adjust the algo to suit to the dive, and it is much easier to do than w/ V-planner (may be a factor of my ignorance of the model, but I am not comfortable screwing around w/ critical nuclei, etc.). Word is that Bruce is working on running V-planner live on the unit, but no commitment yet. When it came down to it, here were my reasons to go w/ the Pursuit:

1) User-replaceable batteries. I know, I know, the X1 now has a battery policy but if it goes (and I have read about a few that have)- it goes back to the factory. Not an option for me. I want as much of my gear to be field serviceable as possible.
2) Breather-compatible. I'm looking at going close circuit in the next year or two and I have my sights on the rEvo. The Pursuit is plug and play with the unit, and reads three cells. It is also upgradeable to the controller used in the eCCR version of the rEvo.
3) Reliability. I have never heard of a problem w/ a Pursuit. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for them. The unit is an evolution of the previous model (Shearwater GF) so it is an improvement on an already solid unit, not brand new technology. I've seen enough reports of issues w/ the X1 to give me pause, which pretty much made the decision for me. I'm not knocking the X1 and I have read nothing but great feedback on their service and support, I just prefer to have something that doesn't need service or support :)
4) Cost was more of an additional benefit. I was able to get a pursuit for quite a bit less than the X1. This wasn't a deciding factor, but made it an easier decision.

Cons:
1) Size- the Pursuit is just a little bit bigger than a VR3. Not too big, but much bigger than the X1
2) Algorithm. I prefer VPM, but am really starting to like GF. More flexibility than VPM, but not a true bubble model
3) I really like the OLED display of the X1. The Pursuit is fine, big and bright enough for me, but pales in comparison to the X1.

Does anyone have any information on the Oxycheg HS Explorer computer versus the Pursuit or the Liquivision or the VR3. I am looking to buy a new Tech computer and would like some help choosing between computers with good features for the price and can handle up to Trimix for the not so distant future.

Does anyone have any information on the Oxycheg HS Explorer computer versus the Pursuit or the Liquivision or the VR3. I am looking to buy a new Tech computer and would like some help choosing between computers with good features for the price and can handle up to Trimix for the not so distant future.

Check here....

HS Explorer

I have a VR3...and looking at the X1 because I like the VPM model. I simply prefer a user-changeable battery...so might hold off for the time being. From what I understand the VPM model that Delta has for the VR3 has been "tweaked" which makes me wonder about it...but trying to get info from Delta on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom