February - Cebu and beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings

I went to a travel agent on Saturday to book flights to Indonesia and after a rush of blood to the head I threw in 2 to 3 weeks in the Philippines. I arrive in Cebu and wonder where I should go as I have done little research? Its not til February.

I have an option of into Cebu out of Manila, or in and out of Cebu. A quick look makes heading overland / sea to Manila, diving all and sundry in between seem like an idea.

What do you lot think I should do? Time is my only problem, I've saved hard and am ready to spend.

I am your canvas . . .

You're in for a treat by the sound of it...to help us out helping you -
Level of experience?
Type of preferred diving?
Type of preferred social scene?
Max budget per dive/day?
Max budget for accommodation?

Love it! Yes I can help you help me!

I was a DM but just do it now for fun.

I currently have 330 odd dives but should be hitting 400 around then.

I have to see those Threshers, love mantas but if truth be told I'm a macro man. I like challenging dives - currents are good with a proper dive plan. Deep is good . . with a proper dive plan etc. I have done one or 2 good wrecks but not enough so I'd certainly be interested in this.

Social scene is a tough one - I travel solo so am used to quiet dinners with a book but I'm no wallflower - I'm Irish so if there's a few drinks to be had I'm in. I can handle a vibrant few nights of partying and would relish it.

I have no max budget - if a dive is worth doing I can afford it. I have been saving a while and I've learnt from previous travels to grab that opportunity and not go home saying - if only I had the money to dive that wreck I would have seen . . .'

These days I stay in moderately priced, simple places and might splash out occasionally if I get a recommendation. That said I've no problem with a toiletless shack if the diving justifies it.

In Cebu, I'd stay at Club Tambuli on Mactan Island. It's been 20 years since I was there, but the diving was great and the resort was pretty nice. Since we were just there for the day, we had to pay 28 pesos..around $2.00 to get in, but that came with tokens for 4 beers.
Since I was in the Navy then, we partied in Lapu Lapu City after. Nice friendly ladies - I danced with 4 at a time - once face-to-face, one wrapped on my neck, and two on my shoulders. Plus I was table-jumping. The place we overnighted at took exactly 7 seconds to check into - it was near the long bridge from Cebu to Mactan.
I was supposed to be at a luncheon with the American ambassador, but I kinda didn't make it there.
Good times there and great waters.
Tambuli Beach Resorts

malapascua and moalboal in cebu, balicasag/cabilao in bohol, dauin/apo island in dumaguete, sogod bay. all offer great dives and are just car or ferry rides away from cebu. all sites also offer both macro and pelagics.

malapascua and moalboal in cebu, balicasag/cabilao in bohol, dauin/apo island in dumaguete, sogod bay. all offer great dives and are just car or ferry rides away from cebu. all sites also offer both macro and pelagics.

Yes, all good spots. I particularily like Malapascua and Apo. Apo has a nice strong current dive at Coconut Point - varies depending on tides. Three weeks would be time well spent and you could party hard in Cebu a few nights in between all of these locations.:D

these destinations are exactly where you'd get the best dives around cebu!

and...if ever you'll be in manila, let this bunch know and we'll be glad to party with you. :wink:

enjoy your stay here in the philippines!

Well it sounds like PG should certainly be on your list. Partying and great macro!

From Cebu you have plenty of freedom to travel to Malapascua for the Threshers and then on to Bohol and Dumaguete; then fly from Dumaguete to Manila, pick Coron of Subic for some wrecks and then finish off with PG for a finale.

Let me know if you want some details on resorts, I'm happy to help you out making bookings and putting it all together.

Cheers,

Matt.

mucksavage
cebu is a wonderful place as a jump of point to so many places in that part of the country.

From cebu you can take a ferry to tagbilaran bohol, for some wonderful diving, panglao and balicasag dive island, the chocolate hills and some of the oldest churches in the country.

From cebu you could take similar ferry to the sleepy and beautiful city of dumaguete which is a jump of point to apo island santuary, dive spots in Dauin
ferry varies from an hour and a half to bohol and from bohol to dumaguete about the same

From cebu you could hop on a short plane ride to surigao then ferry your way to siargao island for some of the popular surfing spot in the country, cloud nine. diving isnt bad either since you will be diving practically on the pacific ocean

From cebu you could take the public bus or rent a private van to take you to malapascua. a beautiful island popular for the threasher shark dive. Or to other countless resorts scattered around the island.

Cebu is just like any other big city in the world. TERRIBLE traffic and everything else one would expect from one big city.
Another thing nice i could say about cebu, they have some of the most beautiful women
FYI 3rd week of january is the sinulog one of the biggest fiestas in cebu. hotel booking on this occasion is almost a miracle,

There are still countless options using cebu as a jump of point. get a map and the newer copy of the lonely planet

enjoy

Cebu is a good choice as a jumping point in the visayas. bohol, dumaguete are just short ferry rides away. malapascua and maolboal are a few hours away by car. good night life in the city too. if you're diving mactan island, you don't even need to stay at the pricey resorts there coz the city is only 30 - 45 minutes away. There are flights to Manila, Boracay and Palawan. Your options are very wide. Hopefully Maggie will pick up on this thread and put up an itinerary for you. She's really good at that. Enjoy.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom