React Pro - Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsmith

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I have several questions about the battery in my React Pro Dive Computer. The first issue is that I need the O-ring in a short ammount of time and none of my local dive shops have one. Is it possible to order the battery replacement kit directly from Genesis?

Also I have attempted to look into the battery compartment myself because I think that the problem might be with the original battery. My computer was purchased a year ago new from my LDS and I have about 10 dives on it. The manual said it should be good for 150 dives. Any way after I unlock and remove the battery hatch what is next? I am not sure what part the battery hatch is and how to remove it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

You might have only owned the computer for a year and only have 10 dives on it, but how do you know how old that battery is in it? I mean your LDS could have bought that computer 3 years ago and it's been riding the shelf until someone bought it.

I know of one dive shop that was selling computers they had for FOUR years for example.

Same is true for "smaller shops(LDS's)" that sell batteries. They don't sell that many a year so their batteries on their shelf get old. At least with Duracell, etc now days they have a reccomended life date/year stamped on the package.

Figure that you should just plan on changing your battery once a year no matter how many dives a year you put on it.

You can order "battery kits"from any retailer..... They could ship you one overnight.

Looks like Scubatoys sells them from this link, as an add on. but I'm sure you can call them and buy it seperately. Genesis React Pro Nitrox Console, Computers: Nitrox, Genesis, Genesis React Pro Nitrox Console

If you don't need the o-ring, you can buy the batteries at Walmart. Worked fine for me.

See users manual Page 67-71 and it shows how to change it. you can download the PDF file from their website. Or any other website that keeps it up.

example http://scubatoys.com/store/gauges/REACT_PROmanual.pdf

EDIT: replace above URL with React Pro manual. (had resource pro manual link).

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

One question - I am looking at the manual and I am stumped - on page 69 under battery hatch removal the last instruction is to "remove the battery hatch" I am not sure what that is - is it the gold looking disk or is the black ring below it supposed to come out as well? I have tried to remove what I think is the battery hatch cover and it will not budge and I do not want to force it without knowing if I am prying on the correct thing.

Thanks!

John,

I would really reccomend you take the computer to your LDS. More than anything else as an insurance policy. If you have not done this before and you do not install the hatch back in correctly and go diving and the unit floods. That is a user error issue and not covered under warranty. If the shop changes you are assured that it is done correctly and if it is not done correctly, they need to make it right with you.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes the gold disc is the battery hatch.

Genesis Rep

Thanks Mike,

One question - I am looking at the manual and I am stumped - on page 69 under battery hatch removal the last instruction is to "remove the battery hatch" I am not sure what that is - is it the gold looking disk or is the black ring below it supposed to come out as well? I have tried to remove what I think is the battery hatch cover and it will not budge and I do not want to force it without knowing if I am prying on the correct thing.

Thanks!

John.

first off. FYI I changed the above link. apparently I put in the resource Pro link. changed it to the React Pro link.

The hatch cover is the gold disc. the black ring around it is the battery hatch.

Mine was really tough to get out also. I put the hatch cover back on it, threw it in the sink overnight and left it soak in fresh water, and was able to get it out the next day. Since a freshwater soak seemed to do it, it seems to me that it had some fine particles of dried out salt or salt residue in the first part of the threads.

It was still pretty tight the next day though, but it came with a little effort.

I didn't take mine to a LDS because it was not under warranty and was comforatable changing it as I've changed dive computer batteries before.

just make sure you inspect the o-ring for any problem. look for cracks, dry rotting, dirt/dust/hair on it. If it's suspect, replace it. I'm sure that the manufacturer wants it replaced every time it's changed as o-rings go bad with age and compression/decompressions (of the pressure of the battery compartment ring, not the dive).

In theory, a new factory specified o-ring would reduce the risk of flooding over one that you don' know it's overall condition.

BTW.... you can buy Oceanic battery kits to fit Genesis and Sherwood computers. I think some of the Tusa comuters made by Seiko use the same o-ring/kit also. So if your LDS doesn't have one for your computer by name with Genesis on it, you've got other options. This might get harrasement though from the manufacturer if there is a warranty issue though.

Sherwood/Genesis/Oceanic, etc are all made by the same manufacturer, Pelagic and sold OEM to these manufacturers. Tusa/Zeagle/Dive Rite/Cressi computers are made by Seiko for example.

for example, this Sherwood kit lists it works for the Genesis ReAct Pro, Genesis Resource Pro, Sherwood Wisdom, Aeris Atmos 1 (2004 and newer), Aeris Atmos 2 (2004 and newer), Aeris Atmos AI , Aeris XR1 , Aeris XR2
Sherwood Wisdom/React/Resource Pro Battery Kit W-BAT-K with reviews at scuba.com

this battery kit by Oceanic includes the React Pro also, plus all the others mentioned.
Oceanic Battery Kit 04.6175.40 with reviews at scuba.com

I would love it if my shop could change it, but they cannot get ahold of the part before I go on Vacation, all else fails I am going to a very dive intensive area and I know that there are several shops and fingers crossed I will be able to find one that sells Genesis equipment. Thanks for all of the help!

John,

Where is your shop? And when do you leave on vacation? We have them in stock in CA, the shop just needs to order it and have it shipped in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom