Scott Koplin lightweight STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176 once bubbled...
There used to be a feller by the name of scuba446 who i think mentioned having one.:D
Bwah-ha-ha. Don't remind me.

JoanM, are you using the lightweight one with a Pioneer wing with the integrated STA? I have been using a two piece STA up until now with a Pioneer wing I removed the integrated STA from, but have a new wing now which I don't wish to modify, and the two piece STA has some interference from the integrated STA (still with me? :)) I would like to know if the lightweight Koplin STA works well over the top of the integrated STA.

thanks!

I have the Koplin lightweight STA and it doesn't require the removal of the integrated rods (STA) on the Pioneer wings. Its a nice (although pricey) piece of stainless and comes fully bead blasted. It sits the tank about 1/2" out than w/o the STA. Also, you have the option of routing the cam bands though the BP or through the STA. I think its the best STA out there, although I have only tried Fred T's as the other.

Having said that .... I don't use it as I prefer the integrated STA :) (mainly because I don't change tanks on boat dives).

HTH
Paul

I have the old style wing so I can't really help. Sorry.

Joan

I have one...its great! Halcyon is now selling them as well. And I have one of Koplins SS BP's as well. Nice stuff!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
I have one...its great! Halcyon is now selling them as well...
The weighted or lightweight STA? I knew they now carried the weighted one, but wasn't aware they had the lightweight one - OxyCheq does though.

Do you get any interference from the integrated STA when using it (assuming you have a newer Pioneer wing)?

Weighted one...I didn't care for the travel design, as I WANTED more weight so I could shed it off of my waist.

I have used seen Pioneer wingx with the new 'rods' in them used without a problem, but I use OMS wings now instead. I personally PREFER the solid lock-up of an STA vs. the new STA-less design.

I have been using an STA up until now, but I had removed the rods from my original wing because they interfere with the 2 piece STA design I was using - the wing sprung a leak, and it has just been replaced by Halcyon, so now I have a wing with the rods again, and I want to leave them in this time for travelling dive trips. I don't have a problem with weight on my belt - there's only 10lbs there now diving dry, and if I move anything more up onto the backplate like a weighted STA, it pushes me into a head down feet up position (using steel tanks). I too prefer the solid lockup of an STA - I leave mine on the tank and just bolt/unbolt it to remove the tank - I never touch the cambands unless I'm renting tanks on a boat that doesn't have a compresser on board. The lightweight (travel) STA that Scott Koplin makes just looks like it would sit nicely between the Pioneer rods without interference, and I was just hoping someone on the board has used the two together - looks like PnL has, so I will give one a try.

Back
Top Bottom