Uwatec Bottom Timers Calibrated for FFW Correct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Icejon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just had the pleasure of buying one of the older model Uwatec Digital bottom timers that alot of tech divers use. While reading through the manual, it seems to state specifically that the bottom timer was calibrated for fresh water instead of salt. Is this true and if so, will the gauge display the correct depth in salt water? Any comments from users? I will be diving this as a sole instrument with tables for recreational dives only.

Hi,
I have an Uwatec Digital 330, and the manual state that " according to international rules, the depth is calibrated for fresh water , so in salt water, the depth will be 2 to 3 % deeper".
I have a Suunto Gekko, i will compare next sunday if there is a difference.
REgards

I have an older Uwatec bottom timer. It is indeed calibrated for fresh water.

It will read a few feet deeper than a computer that thinks it is in salt water. Difference is only 2-3 feet within recreational depths.

Uwatec is a company based in Switzerland so that's why.

There is some variation in sea water density between different places.

Note that the Uwatec computers are also calibrated for fresh water, but in all newer models you can select calibration. Uwatec is doing the decompression calculations using pressure so calibration/depth doesn't matter.

Niclas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom