U-767 discovered in English Channel - 19-July-2002

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doggoneit...

Now I haveto take that trimix course, buy that drysuit, and still have money enough to go to england....

at least the beer will be good.

Thanks Spectre

Spectre once bubbled...
I've not seen any mention of it here, so I thought I'd pass this on:

U-767 Discovery

Another reason to visit the folks... and get out of the house when my Mom starts driving me up the wall!

DD:rolleyes:

IF you want to know about this stuff I have to recommend 'Lost Patrols' by Innes McCartney. It's very good, and even includes GPS marks so you can dive them yourself! He has a website: Periscope Publishing and there's a awful lot of books about U-Boats.

HTH,

Chris

Extract from U-767 Discovery article:

'Inconstant was running in for a Hedgehog attack when a man wearing Drager breathing apparatus appeared on the surface in an air bubble. He was quickly picked up by Fame.'

'The sole survivor, who identified himself as coming from U767, said that the hedgehog attack had struck the U-boat forward. He had been stationed aft and had simply been blown out of the boat in an air bubble.'
:whoa:

I'm totally confused by this one, you hear about people surviving falls from aircraft when their parachutes don't open but THIS???

What is this Drager breathing apparatus..? Was he wearing a form of scuba gear..also the article mentions almost no damage to the hull apart from one hand sized hole, how in the world did he get 'blown' out of the boat????? weirdddddddddd.....

:confused:

..Speaking of subs I went down for the first time on a WW1 vintage sub at 26 metres yesterday, got inside and had a good look around, pretty amazing fun, the strong surge made it interesting, hehe it was sucking divers in and out of it :D quite amusing to watch, its just a pity its basically like a big cigar, the insides have all been worn away.. I was still happy with it though, nice straightforward penatration and theres 3 other WW1 subs in the area for me to dive on in the future :)

theslyfox01 once bubbled...
Extract from U-767 Discovery article:

I'm totally confused by this one, you hear about people surviving falls from aircraft when their parachutes don't open but THIS???

What is this Drager breathing apparatus..? Was he wearing a form of scuba gear.

Hi: Drager was and is a semi-closed rebreather... during WWII this was probably an Oxygen Rebreather... what depth was our escapee at?

Drager made "famous" or "infamous" by Hans Hass... a wonderful man who was a bit of a pioneer in the underwater movie business and who was one of those different people able to breathe pure oxygen at great depths...

Doppler once bubbled...

Hi: Drager was and is a semi-closed rebreather...

Just FYI, Drager is not only a semi-closed rebreather. Draeger corp has been making a wide range of rebreather units (both for diving and for other 'land uses' i.e. mining, medical, gas masks and other). They make closed circuit 02 rebreathers used by the military and semi closed units for the recreational scuba market.

In World Warr II German subs used Draeger kits to allow escape from 'sunken' subs.

Hope that helps some.

That's very interesting, I'm impressed the Germans equiped their U-boat crews so well as to give them a no doubt expensive piece of hardware in the form of a SCUBA unit to give them piece of mind that at least they might have some chance of escaping a doomed sub...

I guess the real question is how many draeger breathing apparatus units did they have onboard each vessel, I can't imagine there was enough going around for one per crewman considering how much space was at a premium back then.. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom