Need advice on a Nitrox computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boneisland Photo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on a Nitrox computer. This can be a new or used (current production or discontinued) computer that must have the following:

- up to 50%
- user-replaceable battery
- does not lock me out after a violation
- NOT air integrated

I'd also like it if it could be used in gauge only mode.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

- Brian

Hi Brian,
I've had a Cressi Archimedes II computer for around 2.5 years. It's still the current model.
Single gas mix up to 50%
User replaceable battery.
If you "violate" it you can press the reset button near the battery compartment, reset the time/date and away you go.
Gauge mode.
Average depth and Temp.
Easy to read display.
Backlight

Excellent console computer, or with the optional strap can be worn on the wrist.
Good price in the U.S. from stores like LeisurePro. I paid too much for it locally. But I learnt my lesson.

I have it as part of a Cressi 3 gauge console. SPG, Computer and Compass.

Tracks very closely to the algorithm used by Suunto.

Brian,
Are you planning on using this computer as a decompression computer?
There are some computers that don't lock up when deco is missed, but they can be expensive.
The Archimedes II does lock up with missed deco:
3.5.1. – Omitted Decompression stage alarm.
If the decompression stage is missed by surfacing above the
depth given by the computer, an alarm will sound and the
display will flash until the diver descends back to the proper
depth (ceiling) or below it (picture 21).
The computer allows a maximum time of 3 minutes to correct
this dangerous situation; during this time, the alarm will
continuing sounding. In the event that the diver does not
descend to the proper depth (after 3 minuets) the computer
display “Error” program and won’t be usable for the next 48
hours. The only functions working will be Logbook/Profile and
History.
That is right from the owners manual off the web site.
Hope this helps.

Hi Brian,
I've had a Cressi Archimedes II computer for around 2.5 years. It's still the current model.
Single gas mix up to 50%
User replaceable battery.
If you "violate" it you can press the reset button near the battery compartment, reset the time/date and away you go.
Gauge mode.
Average depth and Temp.
Easy to read display.
Backlight

Excellent console computer, or with the optional strap can be worn on the wrist.
Good price in the U.S. from stores like LeisurePro. I paid too much for it locally. But I learnt my lesson.

I have it as part of a Cressi 3 gauge console. SPG, Computer and Compass.

Tracks very closely to the algorithm used by Suunto.

Same computer as Dive Rite and a few other brands that cost more. Easy to use. My experience is a bit more bottom time than Suunto, less than Oceanic. Only minus is a weak beeper. Got mine from LP. (I use the wrist version).

Only minus is a weak beeper.

Yeah I'd agree with you Stu S., the beeper is a little soft, especially as my hearing is not what it used to be. I mainly only notice it's a little soft when I'm wearing my 7mm hood diving here in Tasmania. In the tropics it's fine. Still, not a bad computer for the price if that's it's main failing.

The Leisure Pro price makes it an excellent buy!

cwkline, Your quote from the manual is correct, except it doesn't say you can get around the error lockout for 48 hours by a simple reset. Not that I am suggesting that it is good practice to bypass an omitted deco stop. But there are exceptions to that rule as long as you know the risks, no matter how small.

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like that Archimedes II (or the same computer stamper with a different name) may be what I'm looking for. And, no, I'm not looking for a computer for deco diving, but I just like the idea of knowing that IF I were to violate, that I won't be locked out. I have an Uwatec Bottom timer that I uses quite a bit, but I'm mainly going to use this Nitrox computer for recreational dives. Thanks for the tips... I haven't really used a computer in a while and I wasn't up on all of the latest models. If anybody finds a used one for sale that matches the above description, please let me know.

Paul,
Can you do a reset while underwater? After the dive is OK, but a computer that locks up during a dive is dangerous.
Of course, if you are in deco, you have your schedule cut and the computer is just a backup anyway.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Paul,
Can you do a reset while underwater? After the dive is OK, but a computer that locks up during a dive is dangerous.
Of course, if you are in deco, you have your schedule cut and the computer is just a backup anyway.
Safe Dives
Charlie

Hi Charlie,
Haven't heard of a dive computer that can be unlocked (reset) during a dive. If I did something that caused the computer to lock up during a dive, then I think I would be in need of some retraining on dive safety.

I've only had my Archimedes lockup after a dive when I didn't stay at 5 metres for the last minute of a deco stop. That was when I was fairly new and a few dive masters and instructors indicated I should surface. My computer was more conservative than theirs.
Experience and further education has taught me to ignore guides, dive masters and instructors and follow the computers recomendation if I'm not putting myself (or them)at risk.
They can wait that extra minute with me or on the surface.
I prefer a slightly more conservative computer. That is why I recently purchased a Suunto D6 as a compliment (and backup) to the Archimedes.

Cheers,

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom