Mosquito vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kosh

Contributor
Reaction score
I know these types of discussions are common, but haven't seen this comparison before.

Any thoughts as to pros/cons of one versus the other? (Assume the vyper would be wrist mounted.)

The diving I plan to do is typically 1-3 trips a year, Caribbean and/or FL (i.e. somewhere warm). I may do a few dives in local quarries (mid-Atlantic area). I am getting wreck certified in early June in the keys. Don’t know how into wreck diving I’ll be until after the class.

If you are only looking at doing a few dives a year, I would say go for the Mosquito. It is a good computer and pretty cheap. They have them here at the LDS for $250. I haven't priced the Vyper. But for the money features the mosquito has, I would say it would be fine. If money doesn't matter then go for the vyper.

Just a thought.

... when it comes to readability. For the diving you're planning to do either one will be fine. But the larger display size of the Vyper makes it so much easier to read. Other than (probably) prize, the only argument I can think of for the Mosquito is that you can wear it out (of the water). If you don't mind digital watches. I have DiveRite's Nitek Plus, about the same size and look of the Mosquito. Makes a good back-up, but as a primary I rather use a computer with a larger display. The numbers are easy to read, but their description is not. Moreover, there are several screens I have to go through. My Uwatec has it all on one, and readable at a glance.
S.

The Vyper sells at Leisure Pro for arounf $299.00.

I got the Mosquito and love it but I'm now getting into tech diving which I didn't think I was going to do but started wreck diving and now want to go deeper... Problem is there is no gauge mode on the Mosquito hence not very usable anymore. The Vyper has guage mode in case you ever get into decompression diving and want it as a backup timer, depth gauge. As a recreational computer I love the Mosquito and it is easy to read even though small. Typcially use it as my main watch during non-dive events while on vacation. But alas mine is only 2 years old and will probably get a VR3 the end of summer. If had Vyper could have been a backup timer.

If the cost difference is only $50 then go for the Vyper, at least if you get further training later on it will be usable.

Kev

I'm in a similar situation to bridgenet. i initially bought a Mosquito for use in recreational diving, and for that, it's perfect. But in the end, without a gauge mode, the Mosquito is limiting. Once I got into wreck diving, I decided that I needed something more, and I recently purchased a Vytec.

If you do have aspirations for any kind of tech diving (wreck, deco, cave etc.), then it might be a good idea to go with a Vyper. Plus, Caveseeker's right about the larger display; it's a nice feature.

if you want6 a depth bottom timer, turn the mosquito to "free", it will violate after 5 min. then become a depth bottom timer. Just cannot go back to "ean" or "air" for 48 hours, same a vyper in "gauge" cannot goi back

pos-tech once bubbled...
if you want6 a depth bottom timer, turn the mosquito to "free", it will violate after 5 min. then become a depth bottom timer. Just cannot go back to "ean" or "air" for 48 hours, same a vyper in "gauge" cannot goi back

That is correct. I forgot to switch mine back one weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom