Product Safety Warning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
About 5 years ago OMS 100# lift dual and single bladder BC's were rejected by Ocean Management Systems Inc. because of serious manufacturing defects. These BC's were supposed to have been destroyed by the fabricator: Cindi Walters of Cal Pacific, dba Forte.

They evidently were not destroyed.

These defects include possible bladder rupturing without warning causing total loss of buoyancy control, defective stitching and setting of grommets.

These BC's were never authorized by OMS for sale or distribution and may pose a serious safety hazard.

They are easily identifiable as

The Power inflator is equipped with a gray inflator button and a oral inflator mouthpiece located at a 45 degree angle (OMS has never sold a BC with this inflator)

There is no warning label

The webbing that holds the elastomeric bands may be frayed around the grommet area

The fabric makes a "cracking noise" when compressed and is shiny
Know sellers of this defective BC are:

The Wet Shop
Owner Jeff David alias David Jefferies
6615 Royal,West Vancouver BC

and

Joe Doiron
3031 Washington Ave
Victoria BC

Should you have further questions please feel free to contact Ocean Management Systems Inc.

Yes, unfortunately they are. Sometimes when a deal sounds too good to be true... well you know the rest. I just hope that we can catch some of them before they fail on a fellow diver.

Thanks for the info Mario!! I'm not in the market for a new BC but will be purchasing one for my daughter next year. How is this possible? I can't understand this at all. Are they on the market under the name "Ocean Management Systems"? Thanks again.
Ldreamin

Originally posted by Mario S Caner

Know sellers of this defective BC are:

The Wet Shop
Owner Jeff David alias David Jefferies
6615 Royal,West Vancouver BC

How bizare is that... I wasn't paying attention to specific BCD's when I got air fills there last weekend, but it was certainly an odd place. :(. To his credit he certainly fills a mean tank.

How did you come by this info Mario? & has anyone confronted these retailers?

-kate

The above info was on the OMS wesite Be warned of products like this. Certainly having access to this site and the wealth of info that comes from the members is fantastic... that's why we're all here.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Yeah,
Thanks for the alert Mario.

Dane

Unless the dealer knows about the problem with the items, then you really can't hang them. This same BC manufacturer did the exact same thing with Scubapro BCs a few years back and got hauled into court along with the dealer that they sold them to. It turned out that the dealer (Leisurepro) was told that they were Scubapro items by the supplier (Cindy) so they got off the hook. I don't know how much it cost Cindy, but it doesn't appear to have stopped her from doing it again!

Just my $.02

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom