Mid-South Underwater Explorers' Annual GUE/DIR Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elemental

Registered
Reaction score
will be held in conjunction with GUE instructor Ed Gabe and the Bluegrass Underwater Explorers just an hour or so north of Nashville at Pennyroyal Quarry this year. See you there!

----------

GUE / DIR Dive Day
Hosted by Mid-South and Bluegrass Underwater Explorers (MSUE / BGUE)
at Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort (Hopkinsville, KY)
Sept 20, 2008

This is a chance to learn about the GUE diving philosophy, do some fun diving, and even try some new equipment. Everyone is welcome, from absolute beginner to seasoned diver. No GUE training or DIR experience is necessary. GUE Instructor Ed Gabe will give a free presentation and an in-water skills demonstration. Diving will take place all day Saturday, plus some will stick around to camp out, dive at night, and on Sunday morning. Pennyroyal Scuba has a lunch stand, and we'll be grilling out, pot luck style. Pennyroyal offers good visibility, excellent on-site facilities, lots of things to see under water, and depths to 120'.

Tentative Schedule for Saturday, Sept. 20:
Morning: fun dives
Noon: Pot luck lunch
1:00pm: Presentation by Ed Gabe: Intro to GUE and DIR diving
2:30pm: Skills demonstration dive
3:30pm: More fun diving and equipment test dives
Evening: more food and fun, possibly night dives, etc.
Sunday, Sept. 21:
Morning: fun dives
Afternoon: travel home

RSVP is required; please contact Mike Loyco at mikeloyco at gmail.com.

Websites for more info:
Welcome To Ky's Beautiful Blue Springs Resort
BetterDiving.com
MS-UE : Mid-South Underwater Explorers
Bluegrass Underwater Explorers

Last edited:
Just a reminder folks - this event is coming right up and all are welcome. Please RSVP to Mike if you are going to attend: mikeloyco at gmail.com. We would like to get a fairly accurate count of attendees so we know how much waterside space to reserve. Thanks!

With slightly over a week to go, I'm really looking forward to this.

It's not too late to join in, so please contact Mike as soon as possible.

Last edited:
This Saturday's dive day is really turning into a fun time. Lunch is potluck; please bring something to share with the group. We'll be diving all day and evening. Who knows, you might walk away with some free stuff too.

Mike

Dang it Mike! I could've made this one if I hadn't went to ABWA two weekends ago. I didn't see it when you first posted.

Is there any plans for having another further South or still in driving range of Jackson MS? :)

Michael

We may explore an alternate location next year. Hopkinsville would be quite a hike for you. Sorry you can't make it.

Mike

We may explore an alternate location next year. Hopkinsville would be quite a hike for you. Sorry you can't make it.

Mike

Just let me know in advance when it will be. I can plan accordingly. I REALLY want to make it to one of these to even get mentored for a day and a half.

When are we going to meet up at ABWA again? I need to get you and Brent there again. :)

Michael

Let's do it. How about an ABWA chilly willy dive in the wintertime? That's what we rationalized the drysuits for, right?

Mike

haha Yes! If you and no one else has noticed, I plan to do (been doing it the last two years) a first weekend of February wet suit dive (first one has to be wet suit. ;p). I hope to have my dry suit ready by then to get warm and stay warm the rest of the day. :)

I know I have one dry suiter that is going to dive wet with me on the first dive. Are you game? :)

Michael

EDIT: Ohh! Instead of "ABWA 3rd Annual February Dive", can I use the "ABWA 3rd Annual Chilly Willy Dive"? :wink:

Er, I haven't worn my wetsuit since I started diving dry. I'll be a support diver (in my drysuit) during your 3rd Annual Shriveled Stones Plunge. If I do a wetsuit dive, that'll be my last dive of the day. Sheesh, in 79deg Hawaii water I wore a 7mm wetsuit & 5mm full hood every day.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom