Back inflate purchasing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish_bowl

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would really like to buy a back inflate BC but due to a lack of money, I don't know what to buy. I really like the Dive Rite BC, I've even tried it on, but in Canada (at the local dive shop) its 750 dollars. I found this BC online by Sherwood called the freedom BCD that looks like it wouldn't be too bad. Here is the thing. I would like to ask my dive shop owner if he could order me in a BC that is not so expensive but I still would like something that is not to bad in the way of quality. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on back inflate BCs that they have or know of that are not so bad.

Thanks

Fish

Try ordering the Diverite Transpac II from the US. They run about US$400 from Leisurepro. A less expensive alternative than the Diverite would be the Zeagle Escape.

leadweight once bubbled...
Try ordering the Diverite Transpac II from the US. They run about US$400 from Leisurepro.

Unfortunately for us in the Great White North...this works out to being around the same price.

We have to add freight which is WAY more expensive when shipping to Canada. Then we have to convert to Canadian dollars (multiply by 1.5). Then, we get nailed with duty and 7% GST. Guess what...that $400 US just became $769.50 Canadian.

Just watch eBay for a while, those pop up regularly.
If you get it used, it can be significantly cheaper.
In many cases, I bet, duties and taxes can be avoided for eBay purchases.

fish-bowl
Have you considered a BP/Wings instead? there is an outstanding supplier in Ontario(just N of Toronto). Gary Hoadley at Gary's underwater tech supply. I have found him to be most receptive. I purchased a BPand it came harnessed and had all the Drings and bungies as wellas rubber tubes for keeping lights etc. from flopping all over the place. I found him on E-bay but he is at gary.hoadley@sympatico.ca or phone 1 (705) 728-4841.

this is just an alternative can't hurt to no these things.

Good Luck,
chuckrt

fish_bowl once bubbled...
Hey guys,

I would really like to buy a back inflate BC but due to a lack of money, I don't know what to buy. ...... Does anyone out there have any suggestions on back inflate BCs that they have or know of that are not so bad.

Thanks

Fish
Zeagle Scout about $210 USD
New IDI Travel Tek $229 USD
I have used the Scout for about a year. It works and it is cheap. Should see you through until you get a better idea of what you want and a better way of getting it.
Both will require a weight belt.

A step up from there would be the SeaQuest Balance.

Good diving. :)

fish_bowl,

It sounds like you like the shop you go to, why not ask them? It's easy to find CHEAP gear, especially crap - you're just prey for the Junk merchant. Plus, you'd know if the shop has seen problems with the gear.
Nearly everyone shops for the best possible price when looking for new dive gear, yet at the same time customer service and product quality greatly influence buying habits.
The lowest price doesn't always mean the best deal-- while e-commerce and mail order retailers might be able to trim a few dollars off of the price of a BC, sport diving would be impossible without a thriving community of local stores offering gear, training, service, and tank fills. While alternative purchasing methods empower you with information and significant convenience, they also threaten to rob you of personalized service and local support. They also, most importantly, don’t provide you with any manufacturer warranties or properly trained service for the future maintenance of your investment!

fish_bowl,

Do a search for "Halcyon", "DIR" and "BP" here on the boards.

(BP is short for backplate.)

Do some research and check into the Backplate/Wings setup. Halcyon is a company that makes these...very high quality.

If you are looking for a nice and affordable back inflate you may want to look at the aqualung Malibu or its cousin the Seaquest Balance. People think highly of the balance and the malibu is nearly as nice but a little cheaper.

Hello Again,

Thank you for all of the advice. I will check out the shop near Toronto. I'm not really sure how to buy a BC with a plate and wings. I just thought they came all together then I foud some that sell things seperately. I think that buying from my local dive shop is probably best but I think I will research some of the names and see what kind of deal my dive guy can give me. They are usually pretty good.

Has anyone tried the Sherwood BCs. I have their fins but I didn't know they made BCs too.

Fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom