Fort Wetherill tips 8/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBeez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My buddy and I are planning a dive to Wetherill on Monday morning. I was just hoping for any tidbits of info like if I should aim for a incoming/outgoing tide, currents, particular direction to head out?

Thanks,
Beez

There are actually three separate dive sites at Wetherill - Sandy Bottom Cove (the one with the boat ramp on the right hand side), West Cove (the one with a "goat path" down to the beach on the left hand side), and Bull Point (the rocky beach out by the fort itself - past the DEM office).

In general, if you're diving either of the coves (Sandy Bottom or West), stick to the walls - there's not much in the middle but silty sand (occasional tires/concrete blocks may have some life on them and you could see some horseshoe crabs and tube-dwelling anemones). Check the eelgrass for juvie tropicals, seahorses and pipefish.

You may get better vis on an outgoing tide, but it's definitely diveable on either. Both coves are fairly well protected from strong current. Bull Point, OTOH, is a bit more exposed, particularly if you get out farther. I'd try to dive that at slack - or, if you want, dive it as a drift dive on an incoming tide and exit around the point at the marina by the DEM building. If you dive Bull Point, watch your entry and exit - the beach consists of round cobbles and it's easy to slip and fall. Enjoy!

SadiesMom, Thanks for that informaton.

To all: We're planning to head down for the weekend of 9/20 in hopes of seeing some tropicals and will also be watching this thread for tips.

We'd be delighted to hook up with any local board members to dive and dine as well.

Any suggestions for modest lodging nearby and a suggested dive shop will also be appreciated.

Pete

I just got back from the fort today. Its a tropical paradise with tropicals all over. Ill post pics tomorrow if they dont come out fuzzy. The ocean was completely flat (no waves what so ever). Water temps a balmy 72 F. I did two 70 minute dives (one to 90 ft) with a 7mm full piece. Very cozzy and fun.

I went around the island and through the crevass.

Vis 10-20 ft in varied spots (you have to seek out the good vis). Get there early about 8 am and you have the cove to yourselves. I have to say, the best summer diving at Jamestown is now.

Choose your spot and you will enjoy. Beware of currents at Bulll Point and the Westside of Beavertail.

I may be interested Spectrum if Im available. I'de love to get a picnic going and some semi-advanced diving.

If diving the west cove (the boat ramp side), go along the wall on the peninsula. Right before you hit the island in 22 ft of water, upright lying against the wall, will be a 600 lb anchor recently transported there by Pete and Red. It's about 6 feet high by 4.5 feet wide and appears to be quite old. Red is a great guy and owns Giant Stride Dive Shop in Warwick. It's about 30 minutes from there but IMHO it's the best shop around. Newport dive center is closer but if there is downtown newport traffic it might be a pain. Good luck.

I believe New England Dive Center from Wallingford, Ct will be there on Sunday with their grills and canopies. So expect plenty of divers to be there diving and eating. They usually take one Sunday a month during the summer and invite all their customers there for diving, eating, and hooking up with new dive buddies.
Monday looks like rain by the way.

I dove there on Thursday 28Aug. The water temp according to my gauge was 62 at best and the jellies made it look like a blizzard underwater. I dove for three hours and I saw and caught one tropical, a spot fin butterfly. I didn't find a single other tropical. Everyone else in the water I spoke to all said they hadn't seen any either. There was some big hoopla going on about the anchor. Last I saw it, it's very close to the boat ramp and on the left side. Park rangers were getting involved and everything. I wouldn't have known anything was going on were it not for the woman ranger who seemed not to have an inside voice.

I was very disappointed getting skunked on the tropicals. I have never been and not seen a plentiful amount. I don't know any other areas to go for tropicals either. Can anyone direct me? I was so hoping to get a lionfish this year.

Here's a pic of the jellyfish mess.
jellyfish%20blizzard.jpg

Back
Top Bottom