Datamask Elevation Error (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icemn2003

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, this is my first post on scubaboard, but i've been poking around here for months and this seems to be THE place for all things SCUBA.

My wife and I both just purchased Oceanic datamasks b/c our LDS gave us a killer deal on them. Everything seems to work fine but elevation.

Her Mask says it's at EL2 when in our house.
My mask doesn't say anything about EL

I've looked at the manual and the tables, and EL2 should be above 3000MSL. Our house sits at roughly 2700MSL, which is pretty close, so I'm wondering if there are inherent calibration glitches of +/- a couple hundred feet when it comes to reading barometric pressure. We have a trip to Catalina planned next week, so hopefully they'd both read as being at Sea Level then, but is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any help and insight

Hi everyone, this is my first post on scubaboard, but i've been poking around here for months and this seems to be THE place for all things SCUBA.

My wife and I both just purchased Oceanic datamasks b/c our LDS gave us a killer deal on them. Everything seems to work fine but elevation.

Her Mask says it's at EL2 when in our house.
My mask doesn't say anything about EL

I've looked at the manual and the tables, and EL2 should be above 3000MSL. Our house sits at roughly 2700MSL, which is pretty close, so I'm wondering if there are inherent calibration glitches of +/- a couple hundred feet when it comes to reading barometric pressure. We have a trip to Catalina planned next week, so hopefully they'd both read as being at Sea Level then, but is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks for any help and insight

I would call Oceanic technical support on Monday.

Yeah, I'm planning on giving them a call.

Yesterday for a while both were reading EL2, but one of them was showing No deco time for a 30 ft dive would be 3:21 (which per the tables is above 3000 FT), and one was showing 3:07 (which equates to between 4000-5000ft). So bizarre...

There was a bug in the Atom 2s that caused exactly the same issue and Oceanic corrected it with a firmware update. I'd be pretty certain they will fix this the same way.

BTW, the EL2 bug in the Atom 2s had no effect at all on diving, it only displayed on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom