Name This Crab???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Caught this little fellow hiding out on one of the reefs in Bonaire last week. However, I am having little success IDing him. No luck with Humann, etc.

Help?!

~SubMariner~

Let's make it just a tad smaller and clearer....:wink:

Well I don't know what species of crab it is, but I thikn we should name him Petey.

Sorry I couldn't help it.

Excuse me, but he's an Sam if I ever saw one. :eek:ut:

~SubMariner~

How do you know he's a he? Could be a she! Or else you guys are seeing something I'm missing in the photo.... :wink:

I think a good species name would be "jewelled crab"...

~Sub~...it could be a Thorny Mud Crab. Page 209 in Humann's Reef Creatures, 3rd Edition. This one is small...1/2" to 3/4" and you's looks about that size.

Look it up and see what you think....

Okay, I admit it. I only have the 2nd Edition print books for PH and the CD says copyright 1997. :embarr:

Guess it's time to update, eh?!

~SubMariner~

Wish my scanner worked :( . Well....he is the same color with those milky white spots, reddish colored legs and about the same size. I think it's him!

Well....he is the same color with those milky white spots, reddish colored legs and about the same size. I think it's him!

Sounds good enough for me. :)

So let it be written. So let it be.

Thorny Mud Crab it is. Now off to the pictures to put on the name...

Thanks!

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom