My experience with North Atlantic Scuba in Marshfield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just had a hell of a customer service experience with a rep at North Atlantic Scuba. To provide context, I have an O'neill neoprene drysuit and the Diving Concepts dry glove system. The drysuit is brand new and the dry gloves I have been using for 3 years. I had the same suit prior, and the dry gloves worked like a champ. I have not been able to get a dry dive on the new suit and the leak is right at my wrist seals. Somehow I have not been able to connect my dry gloves for a dry seal. I have done it many times with my former suit, not sure what's going on with this one.

The closest shop to me that sells Diving Concepts is North Atlantic Scuba. I called today to talk about the problem and if they can do a leak test and help me fix the problem. The first question out of the mouth of this rep was "did you buy the suit or gloves from us". I explained I had not, his next comment was, "you should return to the shop where you bought them". I asked to speak to the manager and he refused. We exchanged some words and he hung up.

No problem, I can find another solution and warn everyone in my network to avoid the store. South Shore Divers for example offers good service and has a very knowledgeable owner.

This kind of thing burns my a$$. There is a business adage, change is not required, survival is not mandatory. It will apply to businesses run like this. I purchased my first diving rig through this shop many years ago including BC, regs, custom sized wetsuit, tanks, etc., etc. The idiot on the phone did not take the time to have a conversation any further than the fact that I did not buy my dry suit/gloves from them.

It will be a longer drive, but I can find another shop who wants the service revenue.

Matt,

I hate to say this to you but if I owned a dive shop and you came by with a drysuit that was brand new and gloves that were 3 years old I would have given you the same response. Bring it to the LDS you purchased the suit. Is it possible the wrist seals are thicker or different material, its anyones guess.Once NAS plays around with your suit they will be held accountable for it not working right by you. Then you would probably bad mouth them because they couldn't fix it. It's a no win situation for NAS.

I have been dealing with NAS since 1979 and never had a problem with them taking anything back or going out of their way to help me with equipment even if I didn't purchase it from them.

Matt,

I hate to say this to you but if I owned a dive shop and you came by with a drysuit that was brand new and gloves that were 3 years old I would have given you the same response. Bring it to the LDS you purchased the suit. Is it possible the wrist seals are thicker or different material, its anyones guess.Once NAS plays around with your suit they will be held accountable for it not working right by you. Then you would probably bad mouth them because they couldn't fix it. It's a no win situation for NAS.

I have been dealing with NAS since 1979 and never had a problem with them taking anything back or going out of their way to help me with equipment even if I didn't purchase it from them.

That is of course a business choice, though not a particularly wise one under the current economy. It's biting off your nose to spite the face. That revenue will eventually find it's way to a business with the right attitude.

It was very telling the kid I spoke to was not willing to let me speak to a manager. Perhaps his confidence in rudely brushing off a customer did not extend to the response from the manager. Don't know, don't care, business and recommendation goes elsewhere.

It will be a longer drive, but I can find another shop who wants the service revenue.

Did you actually offer to pay? He may have thought you were looking for warranty/free service.

The closest shop to me that sells Diving Concepts is North Atlantic Scuba. I called today to talk about the problem and if they can do a leak test and help me fix the problem. The first question out of the mouth of this rep was "did you buy the suit or gloves from us". I explained I had not, his next comment was, "you should return to the shop where you bought them". I asked to speak to the manager and he refused. We exchanged some words and he hung up.

For whatever reason, they didn't want your business and you didn't go there, so what's the problem?

Terry

If you asked to speak to the manager and the "kid" on the phone didn't let you, the manager didn't have a chance to make things right. At the very least, you ought to let the manager know that he has a problem - either it is a company policy that is wrong (not assisting someone) or he may have an employee who is botching things up. In the first case, he deserves to lose the business (but should know that it is happening). In the second case, he deserves a change to earn the business or at least know that the kid is screwing with the shop's reputation.

To the OP, where did you buy your 'new' suit???...Where did you buy your 3 year old gloves??

And, why did you not go back to either/or of those businesses???......

What if something happens while this shop(the one that burned your 'a$$' today) is working on your stuff(new suit & old gloves).......IMO, you'd be hollering to the high heavens & writing here now 'Let me tell you about a screw job I got from XY&Z Dive business'.....

Very simple solution, take the items back to where you purchased them........Are you in business for yourself??...If so, you might understand more where they are coming from...IMO, the business owed you nothing but 'have a great day'........

Suit purchased at Inland Divers in Leicester, gloves purchased 3 years ago at Northeast Scuba. I have since moved to the South Shore, which means these other shops are farther away. Inland Divers does not service Diving Concepts products. Though I'm not sure this information will help someone commenting from "SW Louisiana".

David - that is a good and fair point, the manager should have the opportunity to make it right. At this point I'm not willing to invest the time and effort to try to figure out a time when the manager would be there, it's now worth it to me to make the drive to NE Scuba.

WebMonkey - if the rep thought I was asking for something for free, I don't know how he could have come up with that. I called and asked if they do the kind of service I need (leak test and whether they can service DC gloves) and his first response was as I mentioned above. His response prevented him from checking his records to see that I purchased a full gear set there in the past or any other information. It's very simple as you said, the rep chose not to have my business. As customers all we have is a choice of where to spend and the choice to share our experiences with others in our network so they can decide where they may choose to spend.

The guy you spoke to is an azz, and I doubt the owner / manager / whatever is unaware of the tactics being followed in the shop. If they are a dealer, then there is no excuse for not at the very least speaking with you about your problem, and offering to have a look at it. Price or warrantee issues can be discussed later, when facts are known. Hell, even if they were not a dealer, offering some possible help is only good for business, what you got was arrogance from a future out of business shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom