DS160 and old DS125 compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased two DS160's and two new synch cords (blue)
I have a Ikelite Housing for Nikon D80

I have two older DS125 that work fine but cannot be upgraded. Would like to take them as spares on trips.

Can I use the DS125's with the new cord and the Ikrlite housing only using them on Manual settings (not TTL)?

If I would flood a DS160 (after crying for 30-50 minutes) could I use a DS125 and a DS160 at the same time (dual) using the new blue marked cord and using both strobes only on manual

If your DS-125's are serial numbers 2500 and above (or have been in to the factory at some point and received electronics upgrades), they can be used TTL or manual in place of a DS-160.

If serial numbers are below 2500 and in original condition, they will fire on the camera's pre-flash and are unable to recycle quickly enough to fire again on the main flash. You could still use one as a secondary slave strobe by attaching it to a #4100.6 EV Manual Controller (set to 125 and pre-flash). Your primary DS-160 strobe should then be attached by a #4103.51 single sync cord.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the quick response
Unfortunately they are 1242 and 1243

I'm sorry to have to recant my previous statement, but I've just stumbled across a more accurate answer.

You should be able to use your original (pre-2500) DS125 strobes in manual mode with the housing and a sync cord. Set the housing electronics to manual (which cancels the preflash) and choose a manual power setting on the Substrobe(s). I haven't tested this myself with an original DS125, but I believe it will work correctly.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom