How much to pay for used Uwatec Aladin w/transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nebrunner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New diver here. Question for you guys.

A coworker is selling his used Aladin Air2 w/transmitter. It has 55% battery life left. He wants to sell it as a package with a first stage / regulator setup and has the transmitter all attached and ready to go.

The regulator says Scubapro S 600 on it. First stage says Scubapro MK25. Everything is in decent shape. He is letting me try it all out first to make sure I like it. He purchased it from the local shop and it was all serviced here locally.

He thinks he bought the computer/transmitter second hand for $250 and would like to get 75% of what he payed for it, so we are looking at $190 for the Aladin. He bought the regulator set new from the shop and doesn't know what is a fair price on it.

I want to offer him a fair amount but I also want to be getting a pretty good deal myself, anybody have experience with this model of gear and know what I should offer for the whole set?

Nebrunner,
The Mk25/S600 is currently a high end Scubapro regulator, full retail is $665. Withoout knowing what your friend paid it is difficult to throw out any numbers. Roughly the market on used scuba gear is 60-70% of the lowest advertised price, say for example Leisure Pro pricing on the Mk25/S600 price of $525. I'm not sure if you have enough info for this to useful to you. Good luck, that is a good regulator.

If you do not want the mk25/s600 I would be interested in it. They seem to go for around $300-$350.

For the Aladin with 55% battery I would not pay over $170 or so, as it is near it's end of life. The battery can be replaced, but it is more than the unit is worth.

Thanks guys thats the kind of expertise I was looking for. When you say near the end of it's life, if I was diving 4 trips per year with 6 dives per trip, roughly how long would 55% life last me? I would think it would be a long time.

Then when you say that the battery replace costs more than the unit, any estimate on that? The battery and replacement charge are in the $150 and up realm?

Thanks again!

Is the computer an AirZ Nitrox? If so, the batteries should be changed once it reaches
40%. Expect cost of battery change to be $180 or so. (Computer and transmitter). I think the price is good and worth it. In some cases, with some computers, not exactly knowing what you have, Scubapro offers upgrades to the newest computers for much discounted prices. This is normally reserved for original owners, so you would have to check with your nearest Scubapro dealer.

It is not nitrox it says Air2 on it. The seller says that he also has a nitrox version which he bought used for $350 and would sell that to me for $265. I was considering buying both, one for myself and one for my wife. I do not know how much battery life the nitrox computer has left on it.

I also had no idea you had to replace the battery life at 40%, that is a huge change in how I was looking at this. Going from me thinking I had 55% life left to instead having 15% life left!

I've not heard of the Air2 computer.The first hoseless air integreted computer was the Air X
which had a limited recall. They upgraded the people affected, but the real problem with that one is the battery cannot be changed. It was sold as having a changeable battery, but the cases became too rigid and would just break. They had an air integrated computer on a quick disconnect that was grey and I believe that one is the Aladin Air. If that is it, when battery change is required they are offering upgrades to Smartcom for a much discounted price, but there is no transmitter. It is just an early version of the Smartcom.

fwiw, my battery just failed after 4 -5 years of use at around 44%. Probably didn't have 100 dives on it. My Scubapro dealer said they send it back to the mfr. for replacement, they weld (really!) the connections on and it's filled with some sort of oil. He thought it would be $150-60.

I bought a Suunto...

Now I am really glad I asked you guys before I spent a bunch of money on this. I am at work now and the computer is at home. I will take some pics tonight and post them so you can check it out. If it's battery irreplaceable then there is no way it's worth over $100 to me.

uploaded pic, you can see the computer on the left, the reg on the right with transmitter attached.

mk25.JPG

Back
Top Bottom