STA Questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericfine50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok,
Looking for an STA or should I look at an STA integrated wing? Anyone like one STA over another, weighted or not.. So many questions and not enough coffee. What to do.

Eric

Ok, how are you attaching the wing to the BP? Or are you not using a backplate?
Eric

I would think a STA integrated wing would limit you too much. I like mine separate.

I'm diving an OMS STA, but I'm sure there are less expensive options out there. (FredT)

Weighted or not would depend on the diving you are doing.

TwoBit

I currently use the STA, because I want the 4lbs of weight.

If I didn't, I'd use the integrated STA.

I may switch in a month or so when my HP steelies get here - it all depends on how things trim out. I suspect that I will be just fine in a 3 mil wetsuit with no weight belt and the SS BP+STA, but I may be wrong about that - we'll see.

The next "weight drop" would be to get rid of the STA, and the final one would be to use the AL BP that I have instead of the steel one.

I have a SS and AL bp. Cold water, dry suit diving. Just need to choose between the STA and wing int.STA. Hummmmmmm.

Eric:confused:

Just to clarify, I have a backplate with two sets of cam band slots. The cam bands go through the backplate, through the wing and around the tank. It is a pretty simple set-up.

A little extra weight would nice but I am thinking of getting a 5mm backplate to take care of that.

With the integrated STA in the pioneer wings, the straps go through the slots in the wing and through the strap slots in the BP [if your backplate has the slots]. If your BP doesn't have slots, then you'll need to go with an external STA.

Eric, If I have my new wing next week, or I find out for sure I won't be in the pool between then and my surgery, you're welcome to borrow my external STA to try it out.

I have heard people some people say they liked the external ones because they keep the tank a little farther off the back and thus keep the 1st stage a little farther from your head; I've not tried internal yet so I don't know if the 1st stage proximity will be an issue for me.

Jeff,
Thanks! Hope the PT goes well. Let me know if need any assistance with names and recommendations.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Thanks! Hope the PT goes well. Let me know if need any assistance with names and recommendations.

Nope.. I'm all set. Working with a PT group in Waltham; and have a great OS in Brookline. I'm going to see him today to barrage him with a bunch of questions to ease my mind. 4 more PT visits, then the knife [er... the drill].

[my apologies for my participation in the hijack of your own thread!]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom