Backplate conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrewer

Reaction score
I dive a Zeagle Tech. Have been for about three years and am quite happy...... but I am very interested in backplate systems. When I started seeing them around I began thinking about the removable bladder on the zeagle and wondering if it would mount properly to a B.P. Low and behold the other day I head over to the zeagle site and yes they to seem to want some of the B.P. buisness. Offering a backplate system utilizing there wings. It looks kind of like a non-bugeed OMS. This seems like it would be a good option for a guy whos wife is still recovering from a custom drysuit purchase. Anyone have any pros and cons of this system, is it essentally the same as the rest as far as comfort and streamlining goes? Thanks for any input

It looks to me like any typical backplate. What that means is you can go with any backplate/harness setup and not be locked into the zeagle one. You can make a DIY harness for probably a heck of a lot cheaper than they are going to charge you.

As far as backplates, it probably comes down to where the bolt holes are on the zeagle wing... You might want to measure and post 'em, and we can let you know if the distance would work with the different backplates that people use.

There are some things different about the Zeagle BP. There are additional hole in the plate to allow mounting of the wings used on the Ranger, Tech and Techpack. Those wing are just a horse shoe so they can't be mounted to the tank band bolts. Zeagle also makes a more traditional wing specifically for the BP.

If you want to use your Zeagle wing and someone elses bp you will have to drill some holes.

Something else I noticed is the bp is a little wider than the Halcyon at the to which causes the shoulder straps to sit further apart. This is ok if it fits but if it's too wide you might need to cross the sholder straps. BTW, the Zeagle paperwork shows the straps crossed.

Talked to the zeagle guys the afternoon. Mike is right, it's a horsecollar and the BP has some special holes setup to attach the wing ot the zeagle BP.

You really have no other option but to go with the zeagle BP if you don't want to replace the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom