Canon EOS 50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Canon EOS 50D (along with the Nikon D90) has only just been announced this week, so we have no projected date for a housing. Unfortunately we do not receive camera models in advance of the American public.

As long as there a no major changes in the TTL system we should be in production within about a month of purchasing the camera at our local camera store. Keep checking our website for up-to-the-minute news of new housing model availability.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hi Jean,

Just wondering, the EOS 50D is practically the same size and design as the EOS 40D except for the badge change. Is there any possibilities of using a EOS 40D ikelite casing into a EOS 50D casing? (In Theory, cause I own Ikelite EOS 40D u/w casing).

I actually have an EOS 50D next to me and am comparing and measuring on the EOS 40D. Evertything seems to be the same. Any possibilities??

Steven.

p.s: You guys make GREAT Casing!!! Love it since I got my hands on one.

Foxy:

I am jealous you can get the 50D. Not available here in the USA yet. A few more weeks.

If you have the 40D case, can't you just put the 50D in it and see if it works correctly?

Or am I missing something.

I want to know too.

I want to know too ;o) I'm going to Oregon next week and I would love to buy a canon EOS 50D and an Ikelite housing when I'm there - it's half the price as in Denmark!!!

Before I begin, please bear in mind that I am a IKELITE END USER. I am not a designer, nor a technical adviser or speaking on behalf of Ikelite. Hence, do not ASSUME that EOS 50D works with EOS 40D underwater casing until the guys in Ikelite have confirmed these!

Ok, Here is what I have done. I fitted into the Ikelite Casing for the EOS 40D today in the camera lab at the office.

Everything worked fine. All Except for the led light button on the EOS 50D works like a charm. I played with the wheel and dial which had no problem. Fitted the DS-125 strobe and gear sleave of 28-80mm lens. No problem.

After checking everything, I jumped into the pool with the ike. It worked no problem. Then I jumped into the sea... LOL... In the mist of the excitement, i forgot to put on my fin!!! (IDIOT). It does work BUT, Lets wait for Ikelite Rep for a GREEN LIGHT!. Cause they're the expert! Not me.. I am just an overgrown kid who have no patient to wait.!! hahahahahaha....

Aaaah.... BEST U/W Casing Ike have made.. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
It will be very good for us if the 50D can be installed in the existing housing without any modifications to controls or TTL. Unfortunately we still can't get our hands on one... A Canon rep indicated that they will start shipping early in October.

We'll keep you posted!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

I've been lucky enough to "play" with a Canon 50D this weekend, and I was really keen to try it in my Ikelite 40D housing.

And, unfortunately, after many hours of experimenting, I can report the THE TTL CIRCUITRY DOES NOT WORK :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

So....for all of you waiting for that information.....there it is.

It does not recognise the +/- compensation commands from the housing and just fired the flash at full no matter what the setting.

Same with manual settings. The flash fired at full power no matter what.

The camera certainly fits in the 40D housing, with no real problems.

A couple of the buttons are switched around - the 50D's INFO button is where the 40D's JUMP button is. Also the 50D's Liveview is accessed from the PRINT button (top left next to MENU).

I bit more intuitive to use than the 40D, it gives you a "quick control screen" which I found really useful, and I LOVE the extra pixels in the view monitor.

....aaahh well, it was fun to play.

Thanks for your post, you are certainly correct. A DS Substrobe could be used in manual only (using the manual power settings on the flash and not through the housing).

We are just finishing up the new TTL circuitry and will offer an upgrade of the electronics in existing 40D housings. The new TTL has been programmed to work properly with both cameras. I'll have final details of the upgrade (also to include the addition of a pushbutton) to post sometime next week....

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom