Equipment "Dah" Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Runny

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Northern New Mexico in spring & summer.....Under t
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This maybe a "dah" question but:
I'm purchasing my first scuba equipment & the questions is, if one has a Oceanic Geo computer on your wrist is it still necessary to have a "depth gauge" with the air gauge console?
Is it a convenience, is it necessary?

The majority of dive computers provide a depth gauge function, otherwise they would not be able to caculate your nitrogen loading. So, if you fully trust your computer and the batteries in it, than yes, it is a replacement for a depth gauge.

If you have a depth guage already than I would reccomend that you continue to carry it as a backup to the computer. If nothing else, you will need it to maintain your ascent rate if the computer should fail on a dive. And that does happen. I carry two computers and on a dive last year the "brand new" Sherwood Profile was giving me some really strange information, like it was saying I had done a :75 minute dive to 65', when I know that the bottom was 40' and I was using an 80 cu ft cylinder. I can get longer than :50 out of an aluminum 80! So I went with my old computer's output.

No need. If you already have a depth gauge and extra space in an existing console you are using anyway it certainly doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't go buy them. One thing about depth gauges - unlike your SPG, you can always look at your buddies depth gauge if you really needed to.

You will see many people recommend a backup SPG when using a hoseless air integrated computer, because of concerns of more frequent failure of these and you're pretty much up a creek with no info in that case. But that's an entirely different matter.

I think it would depend on whether you already own a mechanical gauge. I like redundancy but, in my case, I wear 2 computers (which have depth function). You can get a 2nd (used older) computer for a console or wrist pretty cheaply these days .... especially if you don't need nitrox function. I dive with a Versa Pro console, a VEO100NX, and a separate Timex (big numbers) Ironman wristwatch. I need big numbers cuz' my eyes are old.

Thanks to all!
I'm a firm believer in being prepared, so a backup is sound advise.

I wear a solar powered dive watch from Citizen..actually I have two.. with the oldest being 8 years old. They both show the max depth of the last dive.. the new one also records up to 20 dives and records time and depth and surface interval. You would have to use tables, but at least you would have all the basic info.

I got this one on sale for just over $200 -

Note: I have no clue why the internet place dropped the price for that weekend.

No batteries to change... extremely reliable... not a bad backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom