From NAUI Divemaster to PADI IDC???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Samemi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am currently a PADI Rescue Diver and I would like to become a PADI Instructor. However, at my university they only offer NAUI classes. Can i take the NAUI Divemaster and Assistant Instructor and go straight from there to the PADI IDC, or will I need to do some kind of conversion course before doing that??

Check with the people running the PADI course, I'm sure that they'd love to corrupt a promising young NAUI leader.:D

Samemi ... he is your father!

I am currently a PADI Rescue Diver and I would like to become a PADI Instructor. However, at my university they only offer NAUI classes. Can i take the NAUI Divemaster and Assistant Instructor and go straight from there to the PADI IDC, or will I need to do some kind of conversion course before doing that??

In NAUI the AI is a lower cert than the DM. In NAUI the AI can assist the instructor but cannot lead dives, etc as a DM can. In PADi the AI is a higher cert level than the DM.

The PADI IDC is typically taught as the AI course and IDC all in one swoop. The qualifications for the AI are found at PADI Assistant Instructor It states the requirements as PADI DM rating or qualifying certification from another agency. I would contact the IDC center you plan on attending, but it seems they should accept you with the NAUI DM cert. The qualification for IDC that states you need to be an instructor of another agency for at least 6 months would be if you plan on taking just the IDC, as opposed to the AI/IDC all in one course as is typical.

A NAUI DM can enter the PADI IDC - a friend of mine just did it a few months ago. This is the full course that I am speaking about, the one that includes AI through OWSI. You will probably still want to buy the DM materials from PADI as they include information on the test for OWSI as well.

Samemi ... he is your father!

Aw Dang! Now the secret is out. :D Look at the bright side - you'll inherit the coolist sounding regulator and FFM that was ever made!!!!!

Safe Diving, and may the Force be with you!
George, AKA Darth PADI :football:

Yes ... may the farce be with you.

Seriously ... the NAUI DM course is designed to produce a leadership level diver with the same suite of diving skills and knowledge as a NAUI Instructor, but with a different specialization, running dive operations for certified divers as opposed to teaching non-divers how to dive. There is no reason why a NAUI DM should not be acccepted into a PADI IDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom