PST - are they back yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HullBlister

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last I head was over a year ago. Their intent was to have the tanks made in Korea and then thread, attach valves and test in the US. All this after they brought in an equity group to help them back from the dead.

Anyone hear anything new or different?

Thanks!

Blister

Anyone...

Anyone...

Bueller...

There was a flurry of activity this spring. The product that hit the streets appeared to be old work in progress that they finally finished. I have not heard of the import venture coming though with any new product.

Pete

Thanks.

Blister

With their...erratic... track record, and given that I'm really happy with the manufacturer that stepped in with the same product (Worthington), I could care less if they ever come back.

All the best, James

With their...erratic... track record, and given that I'm really happy with the manufacturer that stepped in with the same product (Worthington), I could care less if they ever come back.

All the best, James

Wow, talk about throwing them under the moving bus...... five years ago they had no issues. Follow that with a weak market and having with their manufacturing location being in the way of an urban renewal project, now we've lost the sole US manufacturer of steel scuba tanks.

I personally don't like the fact Worthington now has a monopoly on the hot dipped galvanized tank market.

At least PST renewed their exemption which is more than I can say for Norris Cylinders.

Yes, it sounds harsh. However, I wasn't speaking to just the issues with going out of business.

Well before they started laying off workers, they gave us the non-renewal of the DOT exemption scare. No DOT exemption, no fills.

And the problems with PST manufacturing a run of a cylinder type, stopping the run, and then exhausting the stock. And not starting the run up for a year, so us (the divers) were calling every dive shop in the country to find a cylinder here, a cylinder there.

We all knew the diving cylinders were just a sideline for PST. And the company had more problems than having the town redevelop the area; if they had been well managed and fiscally sound, they would have moved.

Yes, we could do with some competition to help bring down prices. But a manufacturer that is sporadic in production, doesn't support what they sell, and has problems managing their company? Not worth it for me to spend money with them.

All the best, James

Over 85% of PST was steel SCUBA cylinders. The remainder was made up of natural gas storage, and aircraft O2 storage.

Blister

Follow that with a weak market and having with their manufacturing location being in the way of an urban renewal project, now we've lost the sole US manufacturer of steel scuba tanks.

I would much rather pay Worthington for a North American tank then send my money overseas. If I am thinking right most of the Worthington tanks are made in the US but some are Canadian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom