How to catch and store Lobsters ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I'm new to scuba and next year I would like to get a lobster license in CT.. When diving what do store your catch in? What is a good way to catch a lobster? Please help.:confused:

I use a simple game bag to put my lobster (bugs) in while diving--I dive in California. Of course, CA lobsters have no claws. Either way, I am not sure that changes anything. Some divers out here use extra large game bags or game bags designed specifically for "easily" putting Lobsters in them. Again, I only use a standard game bag. Once I am on my boat, I have a live well that I keep them alive in. When I didn't have a live well, I filled a cooler with sea water. That worked just fine too. I had to change the water a few times a day sometimes. As far as dive boat charters--they all have live wells for you to keep your bugs in. Just make sure you have an extra game bag to put them in.

In Florida I think most people use these:
A-PLUS Lobster Locker Lobster Bag
This makes it easy to get them in and hard for them to get out.
They tend to scratch you a little while they are in there but you are probably wearing a wetsuit most of the time.
For storing on the boat you can put them in a livewell or a cooler. If you put them on ice in a cooler they will live for a really long time. Possibly overnight.
Good luck. Once you catch the fever you'll be lobstering every chance you get.

Hello,

I use the Rob Allen lobster bag. I got it for freediving and liked it so much I use it for scuba too. When its empty, you don't even notice it's there. Even when it's stock full I hardly notice the drag (on scuba). It takes less than two seconds to put the lobster in the bag.
Also, the Rob Allen bag is about half the price of other bags.

Regards,

Chris

roballenbag.jpg

White.Knight makes a good point: If you're on a charter with a live well, bring two bags. It will keep you from arguing with your buddy about which lobster belongs to whom at the end of the trip.

Thanks for the tips, I hope to do my first CA lobster hunting at the end of the month when the season starts.

Hi Scubant. I do a fair amount of lobster diving in Mass. I use a standard (I assume) mesh "catch bag" and a lobster tickler. You can buy both of these items at most dive stores in MA. It's just an aluminum rod with a 45 degree bend at the very end. Lobsters like to hide under rocks and in holes, so you stick the tickler in the hole and tap the lobster in the tail and it will coax the lobster out. Then just quickly grab the lobster. Try to grab it by it's back if you can. But, if you have to grab it by it's claws grab the crusher claw. The crusher is stronger, and if you're going to get pinched (and you will :D ) it's better to be pinched by the other claw.

As far as storing them until ready to cook, I just pack them in a cooler full of ice. Just keep the drain open so the water drains out. You can keep them alive for days this way (I worked in a seafood restaurant for many years and we used to do this).

Good luck and have fun!

Going to the Cape the end of Sept with wife, are there good dive sites there for future reference? Or good dive shops to visit?

Hi again...there a a some very good dive sites on the Cape. Sandwich Town beach is a great spot. It's a bit of a hike over the dunes (on a boardwalk) to get to the water but it's well worth it. Lots of lobsters and fish. Then there is Garbage Beach in Woods Hole (part of Falmouth). This can be a tough dive because the vis. is usually pretty poor due the amount of boat traffic in the area. Then in Dennis there is Corporation Beach which is a beautiful dive site. Easy entry/exit but it is very shallow...15-20 foot range. If you don't mind pond diving, Hathaway's Pond is great. Easy entry/exit, platforms used for training, a 30' wooden wreck and a car to see. Also lots of fish and some fresh water eels to be seen.

I know of three dive shops on the Cape. I use the Dive Locker in Hyannis. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff and they have a charter boat that makes numerous trips every week. Also in Hyannis is a store called Sea Sports. The other store is Aqua Sports in Sandwich. I don't use these stores as much but, the staff are also very friendly.

In Florida I think most people use these:
A-PLUS Lobster Locker Lobster Bag
This makes it easy to get them in and hard for them to get out.
They tend to scratch you a little while they are in there but you are probably wearing a wetsuit most of the time.
For storing on the boat you can put them in a livewell or a cooler. If you put them on ice in a cooler they will live for a really long time. Possibly overnight.
Good luck. Once you catch the fever you'll be lobstering every chance you get.

We stopped buying similaur bags, we had too many lobsters that would not fit through the hole in the top.
We use these
Bluewater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom